The tunnels of Nam Hong were recognised as a national historical site in 1996. It used to be 11km long but only 200 metres of the tunnels are left now, running under the houses of Pham Thi Lai and Pham Van Doc. Dozens of entrances and parts of the tunnels were destroyed. One of the two entrances to the tunnel is located under the bed of Pham Thi Lai and the other one is in Pham Van Doc house’s corner. The entrance is small enough for only one adult.
During the Indochina War, Nam Hong Commune was often attacked. 461 people were killed after 250 raids. 346 tonnes of rice were robbed or destroyed and 2,047 houses were also robbed or burnt.
The tunnels were built by the young people in Nam Hong Commune after the local guerrilla team was set up in 1947. The tunnel is about 1.2-1.4 metres wide.
After nine years of war, about 308 skirmishes had occurred in Nam Hong. The local people killed 308, injured 153 and forced 135 enemies to surrender. They also seized 72 rifles, three submachine guns, 780 grenades, and one amphibious vehicle.
Only the tunnels under Pham Thi Lai and Pham Van Doc have been concretised for preservation, while other parts have been damaged or destroyed over time.
Some photos of the tunnels:
The tunnels of Nam Hong