West Ham United missed the chance to above Liverpool into the top four as they drew 0-0 at third-from-bottom Fulham. Arsenal suffered their second defeat of the week as Ollie Watkins’ goal after 74 seconds was enough to earn Aston Villa a 1-0 win that lifted them to eighth. Burnley drew 1-1 at home to Brighton & Hove Albion. Southampton continued leaking goals as they went down 3-2 at Newcastle United who ended the match with nine men.
* Sevilla overcame a serious-looking injury to talisman Lucas Ocampos to beat Getafe 3-0 in La Liga on Saturday after the visitors were reduced to 10 men after a horror tackle by defender Djene Dakonam on the Argentine.
* Cristiano Ronaldo was on target as Juventus earned a 2-0 victory over AS Roma on Saturday to leapfrog their opponents and move into third place in the Serie A standings. A sixth win in a row in all competitions moved Juve above Roma on to 42 points, two clear of their opponents and five behind leaders Inter Milan.
* Scotland ended their 38-year wait for a victory at Twickenham in emphatic style on Saturday as they produced a superb performance to swamp Six Nations holders England 11-6 on the opening day of the championship and claim the Calcutta Cup.
* Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane struck twice as his side came from behind to snatch a 2-1 victory at basement side Huesca in La Liga on Saturday and offer some respite to coach Zinedine Zidane. The win took his side second in the standings on 43 points, seven behind Atletico Madrid who have two games in hand.
* Borussia Dortmund conceded two goals in three minutes to slump to a 2-1 loss at Freiburg on Saturday and drop 16 points behind leaders Bayern Munich while putting their hopes of a Champions League spot next season at risk. Dortmund have long given up on the title but their third loss in the last four league games meant they remained in sixth place.
* RB Leipzig cruised past hosts Schalke 04 3-0 on Saturday to stay seven points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich in second place and leave their opponents anchored at the bottom of the table. Leipzig are on 41 points, with Bayern, winners 1-0 at Hertha Berlin on Friday, on 48.
* Austrians Vincent Kriechmayr and Matthias Mayer finished first and second in a super-G on Saturday in the final World Cup race before the Alpine skiing world championships start in Cortina d’Ampezzo. Kriechmayr beat Mayer by 0.17 seconds on Garmisch-Partenkirchen’s Kandahar piste, with Switzerland’s Marco Odermatt third in the German resort.
* Real Madrid women’s forward Kosovare Asllani scored a hat-trick in less than three minutes on Saturday, during a 3-1 win at home to Valencia.
* American Dustin Johnson carded a four-under-par 66 in the third round to go 13-under overall and take a two-shot lead at the Saudi International on Saturday. Despite a double-bogey on the par-four 13th when he found the water, Johnson recorded six birdies to stave off the challenge of Frenchman Victor Perez who shot an error-free 66 with four birdies.
* Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos underwent surgery for a knee injury that has sidelined the defender since last month, the La Liga club said on Saturday. Ramos, 34, has not played since their Spanish Super Cup loss to Athletic Bilbao last month and though he returned to training earlier this week, he was forced to go under the knife.
* World number two Rafa Nadal eased fears that a back injury might prevent him from playing in next week’s Australian Open with a full-blooded training session on Saturday. The 20-times Grand Slam champion took to the John Cain Arena court in the late afternoon and appeared unhampered as he hammered balls across the net with trademark ferocity.
* Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime moved a step closer to his maiden ATP title after a 6-1 6-2 win over Corentin Moutet in the Murray River Open semi-finals in Melbourne on Saturday.
* Former New Zealand all-rounder Bruce Taylor, the only player to score a century and take a five-wicket haul on test debut, has died at the age of 77, the country’s cricket board said on Saturday.
* Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy is available for Sunday’s Premier League trip to face Wolverhampton Wanderers after recovering from a hernia operation but manager Brendan Rodgers said the forward will not be rushed back into action. Vardy, 34, is Leicester’s top scorer with 13 goals in all competitions but has missed their last three league games after having surgery in January.
* Daniil Medvedev enjoyed the perfect Australian Open preparation as he fired Russia to victory in the US$7.5 million ATP Cup with a dominant 6-4, 6-2 win over Italy’s Matteo Berrettini in Melbourne on Sunday (Feb 7).
* Australia’s second-most populous state of Victoria reported no local coronavirus cases on Saturday for the second straight day, boding well for the Australian Open tennis tournament due to start in Melbourne on Monday. More than 500 staff and players in the Grand Slam event tested negative for the coronavirus virus on Friday in re-testing required after a worker at their quarantine hotel caught the virus.
* World number one Ash Barty made the perfect start to her 2021 season when she outfought Spain’s Garbine Muguruza 7-6(3) 6-4 to win the Yarra Valley Classic Australian Open warm-up tournament on Sunday.