It is now a new situation in Ukraine and Europe that all relevant players have to deal with.
Russia created a fait accompli with the admission of the four Ukrainian regions into the Russian Federation: Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia. This move was widely expected, although Russia had not controlled these regions until now. The remarkable advances of Ukrainian troops in southern Ukraine could be the main reason for this move by Russia.
|Ukrainian soldiers. Source: VNA/AFP|
It was a decisive turning point in this war, but its fatality will mean many uncertainties ahead for Russia and Ukraine.
First, it would make diplomatic talks and negotiations between Russia and Ukraine, directly or indirectly, to seek peaceful political solutions to end the war in Ukraine, for sustainable peace, security and stability to prevail in Europe, and to redefine relations between Russia and Ukraine as well as Russia and the rest of Europe, almost impossible. The reason is simply that from now on, Ukraine cannot, and Russia will not abandon this region. Russia will keep these new territories at any cost, and Ukraine will try by all means, whatever it takes, to get them back. To militarily escalate the war between them is already programmed.
Secondly, it created a new political, legal and geographical constellation in Europe and between Russia and Ukraine. After Russia considered these four regions as Russian territories, fears and concerns are rapidly increasing all over Europe about the possibility of using nuclear weapons in Russia in case Ukrainian military forces attack Russia in these four regions, especially after the Russian side has made it clear on more than one occasion that it would be ready to do so in this scenario. A nuclear war in Ukraine would mean doomsday for Europe.
Third, Russia put its relationship with the West on a new footing. The West must now, like it or not, be very careful and restrained in continuing to provide Ukraine with its weapons and military equipment. Russia would consider Ukraine’s use of these weapons and equipment against Russia in Ukraine and attacking Russia in these four regions as two acts of a different nature. The West must always be cautious to avoid crossing a political, legal and military minefield in Ukraine.
Now it is a new situation in Ukraine and Europe that all relevant players have to deal with. The outcome of the current war in Ukraine now depends on how appropriately (for everyone) and successfully (for everyone) they try to deal with it. Therefore, the most certain now is that there are many uncertainties ahead.
Disclaimer: The views expressed by Ambassador Tran Duc Mau are his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Hanoi Times.
- Stocks rise, U.S. bond yields ease ahead of Powell's Jackson Hole speech
- Ahead of the jobs report, the labor market is 'like an inferno'
- One-year ahead inflation expectation of Indian firms falls below 5% after 17 months
- ‘Catastrophic winter’ ahead for households as bills soar, energy boss warns
- Acland coal mine expansion uncertainty leaves jobs in limbo
- Man Utd are going to put Antony in a very special group ahead of transfer completion
- The State of the Nation: Export data’s double-digit streak continues in July but caution ahead
- European energy slumps as German gas stores fill ahead of target
- ‘From desperation to uncertainty’: As pandemic slows, Bay Area residents balance hope and the unknown
- ‘House Of The Dragon’ Does Its Job Despite Glitches, But Long Road Ahead For Warner Bros. Discovery
- FIH happy with Hockey India’s new draft constitution, World Cup draw to go ahead next month
- Teenagers at the Heart of The Road Ahead for Indian Chess
- Tory leadership: Pressure on Liz Truss over bill help ahead of final hustings
- Big 12 opens media rights negotiations ahead of schedule; early exit for Oklahoma, Texas being considered
- Gold edges up ahead of US payrolls data; set for third weekly fall
- UPA MLAs camping in Raipur reach Ranchi ahead of crucial trust vote
- Phil Spencer issues stamp duty holiday warning: Property expert predicts 'bedlam' ahead
- Oil prices jump more than $2 ahead of OPEC+ meeting
- Don’t really see G-7 price cap on Russian oil taking off but it creates uncertainty: Vandana Hari
- Despite injury uncertainty, Ravens are touchdown favorites in season opener vs. Jets
Many uncertainties ahead have 701 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at October 7, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.