Vietnam defeated South Korea 5-1 in their Group D opener at the AFC Futsal Asian Cup 2022 on Wednesday night in Kuwait.
South Korea, who are 30 places below Vietnam in the world ranking, surprised Vietnam when Shin Jong Hoon sank an early goal in the first minute of play.
Vietnam equalized just a minute later thanks to a finish by Nguyen Minh Tri that rebounded from Shin's leg and went straight to the back of South Korea's net.
Vietnam then pulled ahead in the 16th minute with a second goal.
The Vietnamese netted a third goal in the 17th minute when Minh Tri won the ball and started a counter-attack with Pham Duc Hoa, who took it inside the box and finished in the net to make it 3-1 for Vietnam.
In the second half, South Korea increased its intensity by having goalkeeper Seo Jung Woo on the attack.
Vietnam were under great pressure but the excellence of keeper Ho Van Y helped maintain their lead.
Pressure was taken off Vietnam's shoulders when Tran Thai Huy scored the fourth goal in the 34th minute, putting an end to South Korea's hope of making a comeback.
He fainted past Park Jeong Jin and ran down to face keeper Seo before finishing from a tight angle.
Vietnam scored a fifth goal one minute later when Duc Hoa chipped the ball over the keeper.
The 5-1 win against South Korea put Vietnam on top of Group D.
Saudi Arabia defeated Japan 2-1 in the other Group D match.
The 2022 Futsal Asian Cup is taking place in Kuwait from Tuesday, September 27 to October 8 with the participation of 16 teams divided into four groups.
The top two teams from each group will advance to the quarterfinals.
Vietnam will play Saudi Arabia on Friday and Japan two days later.
- VIDEO: NY Red Bulls' Tim Cahill scores on bicycle kick for Australia in Asian Cup
- Belgium overcomes red card to beat South Korea, set up clash with United States
- World Cup roundup: From Robin van Persie’s wonder goal to John Brooks' heroics, all the Week 1 highlights
- Ryder Cup gave Brooks Koepka confidence to withstand pressure
- Team USA blows by Dominican Republic, 106-71, to win Group C at FIBA World Cup
- Trump's Asia trip to focus on North Korea nuclear program and Chinese trade – and maybe golf
- Trump golfs with Japan PM, warns North Korea, sets meeting with Putin
- Soccer at a crossroads as sport faces epic fight against match-fixing from a foe that is too big for FIFA to take on alone
- Starbucks opening in café clogged Vietnam
- Best new food hubs: Mesa's international markets anchor vibrant Asian dining scene
- More Asian immigrants coming to US than Hispanics
- How Trump can put pressure on China over North Korea's nuclear threat
- South Korea seeks to boost slow Winter Olympic ticket sales
- Tempest in a World Cup as politics and turmoil follow as Israel becomes a major player in soccer
- Six things Trump can do to squeeze North Korea — without sparking war
- Switzerland will be one of the top eight seeds for the World Cup as new FIFA rankings revealed
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter caught up in investigation over Qatar, Russia World Cup bids
- Algeria erupts against South Korea, stays in World Cup hunt with 4-2 win
- Bae Sang-Moon to leave PGA Tour to complete mandatory military service in South Korea
- Divock Origi rescues Belgium with goal in 84th minute in 1-0 World Cup win over Russia
Vietnam start Futsal Asian Cup with big victory over S.Korea have 582 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 29, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.