Hanoi (VNA) – Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh called for a global approach, and international solidarity in response to climate change in his message to the informal Leaders’ Roundtable on Climate Change in New York, co-chaired by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and Egyptian President on September 22.
The event was initiated by Guterres to unify awareness and promote strong political commitment to climate finance, greenhouse gas emission reduction and energy transition, in the lead up to the 27th session of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change ( COP27 ) to be held in Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt in November.
It is crucial to have a global approach, strengthened international unity and multilateralism, with the UN placed at the centre to tackle climate change, Chinh said in the message. A people-wide approach is also needed in this effort as people remain the heart, subject, resources, motivation and goal of development, he noted, adding that it is particularly important to ensure equality and justice globally and in each country.
A developing nation rising from the ruins of wars, yet Vietnam has long been a responsible UN member and determined to fulfill its international commitments with the greatest endeavour, the PM stated.
He then asked development partners to support Vietnam through technology transfer, financial incentives, personnel training and active experience sharing, in improving regulatory framework and governance.
It will enable Vietnam to realise the goal of cutting greenhouse emission, effectively responding to climate change, ensuring energy security, promote sustainable socio-economic development, addressing social security issues and improving living standards, the leader emphasised.
He also took the occasion to thank international partners, UN bodies and the UN Secretary-General for their cooperation with and support to Vietnam in climate change response, particularly accelerating the talks for the establishment of a Just Energy Transition Partnership ./.
- Former Australian PM calls party colleagues' conduct over climate change "idiotic"
- Soaring global temperatures caused by climate change could slash the life expectancy of snakes, lizards and turtles as the cold-blooded animals' metabolisms SPEED UP to help them survive
- Ikea boss calls on Australians to combat climate change
- UN chief calls for greater global efforts to tackle climate change
- Australia's bushfires show drastic effects of climate change
- UK slashes number of Foreign Office climate change staff
- Climate change could wipe out up to HALF of all plant and animal life on Earth by 2070 if temperatures keep increasing, study warns
- 'We cannot protect everyone': New environment secretary George Eustice warns over climate change as Storm Dennis brings worst flooding for a generation
- Jeff Bezos pledges $10 billion of his own money to fight climate change
- British satirical 'TV reporter' Jonathan Pie takes aim at Australia over climate change
- State faces calls to act more swiftly on climate change
- Maryland lawmakers unveil new climate change proposal
- Videos used by schools question minimum wage, climate change
- Moving farming to new areas as the planet warms up from climate change could release 177 GIGATONS of CO2 into the atmosphere and accelerate global warming
- Climate change makes poor countries poorer, widening global inequality, researchers say
- Government to take ‘technology over taxation’ approach to climate change
- Why the Western diet needs to shift to a 'planetary health diet' in the age of climate change
- Climate change on track to cause major insect wipeout, scientists warn
- Exxon Mobil agrees to report on climate change's effect on business model
- Scientists predict huge sea level rise even if we limit climate change
PM calls for global approach, int'l solidarity against climate change have 584 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.