Speaking at the 73rd session of the International Law Commission (ILC) on August 5, the ambassador, on behalf of the Asian States regional group, spoke highly of efforts by the commission as well as its contribution and support to developing countries.
The 73rd session is the final meeting of the commission in the 2017-2022 tenure, which lasted up to six years due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The session took place from April 18 to June 3, and from July 4 to August 5.
Vietnamese Ambassador Nguyen Hong Thao was re-elected to the International Law Commission (ILC) for the 2023-2027 tenure on November 12, 2021, with 145 out of 191 votes, ranking fourth among 11 candidates from Asia-Pacific.
During the 2017-2022 tenure, Ambassador Thao was the first Vietnamese to be elected to the ILC. He actively joined and offered ideas to the committee’s important discussions regarding environment protection in armed conflicts, atmosphere protection, response to rising sea level and international law.
Thao earned a doctorate degree on law from the University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne and previously held important positions such as Vice Chairman of the National Border Commission and head of the Vietnamese delegations to negotiations on border agreements with neighboring countries of Vietnam.
The ILC is an independent body of the U.N., and specialises in developing and codifying international law, and reporting to the U.N. General Assembly's Legal Committee. It is composed of 34 members who are elected by U.N. member states every five years via secret ballot.
- Vietnam brings into full play active role at multilateral forums
- VIETNAM POLITICAL NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 29
- VIETNAM POLITICAL NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 30
- Field opens up for bigger M&A deals
- VN, NZ issue joint statement on advancing comprehensive partnership
- 'He had nothing!' Trump says 'Robert Mueller did a poor job' during hours of congressional grilling and THANKS Democrats for holding the hearings – but declares they'll lose big in 2020 because they didn't hurt him
Vietnam makes active contribution to International Law Commission have 314 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at August 8, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.