According to VASEP, shipments of shrimp picked up 7 percent – a quite modest pace – to total $450 million as a result of input shortages. Though, the sector experienced a strong growth of 33 percent in H1 to bring home $2.3 billion, accounting for 40 percent of the total seafood exports.
Several producers have raised the shipments of high value-added processed shrimp products, instead of raw ones, to major markets like Japan, the US and the EU as a way to address input shortages.
Exports of lobster posted a record-high 30-fold surge year-on-year to $130 million.
High inflation coupled with the Russia-Ukraine crisis have brought big opportunity for Tra fish from Vietnam this year. Sanctions on imports of Russian-caught whitefish in response to its conflict with Ukraine have caused severe shortages on the global market, especially the EU, the US and the UK, whose imports mainly sourced from Russia, according to Le Hang, Director of the VASEP Training and Trade Promotion Centre (VASEP Pro).
Many restaurants in these countries have had to exclude whitefish, like cod, from their menus and seek for alternatives. Thanks to that, Vietnamese Tra fish had opportunities to gain a larger market share after months of struggle, Hang said.
In June, Vietnam exported close to $220 million worth of Tra fish, up 54 percent year-on-year. The figure soared 83 percent in H1 to hit $1.4 billion, representing one-fourth of the total exports. Shipments to the UK enjoyed an exaggerate six-fold rise from the same period last year, followed by Spain (three-fold increase).
The tuna sector earned some $553 million in export turnover during the period, up 56 percent year-on-year. The US remained Vietnam's largest buyer of tuna that imported over half of the Vietnamese shipments.
VASEP anticipated that aquatic exports will be likely to reach $10 billion this year, up about 12 percent from 2021.
- Vietnam’s steel exports increase over 38 percent
- Spike in 'minor' aviation mishaps a 'leading indicator' to examine, Navy secretary says
- China's Trade Surplus With US Hits Record As Exporters Rush To Beat Tariffs
- Poll: Melania Trump's Popularity Spikes 10 Points
- Trump Administration Eyes Military Bases for Coal, Gas Exports
- Israeli Anti-Drone Company Sees Spike in Interest After Gatwick Airport Scare
- BIS Publishes Proposed Revisions to BIS Export Penalty Guidelines
- The Latest: Auto association: Tariffs will hurt US exports
- How DC unleashed fossil-fuel exports despite climate worries
- Shrimp export to China sees positive signs
- Anti-Semitic crime in New York "spiked" in weeks leading up to Pittsburgh synagogue massacre
- Mnuchin: US 'definitely' headed for years of 'sustained 3 percent growth at least'
- U.S. shale producers eye global pricing as exports surge
- Liquid Natural Gas Exports Begin as NGOs Press Climate Change Challenges
- Military sees frustrating trend as suicides spike
- After 40 years he opted out of dairy farming is dying
- Government Shutdown Leads To A Spike In Canceled Immigration Hearings
- California wildfires will grow 77 percent as climate warms. Should forests be thinned?
- Czech government agrees to 8 percent wage rise for state workers
- Iran’s politics go topsy-turvy, 40 years after revolution
Aquatic exports spike 40 percent in H1 have 514 words, post on www.sggpnews.org.vn at July 4, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.