Even when missing captain and defender Bui Tien Dung, Viettel's squad power is still considered stronger than the opponent. The capital club showed domination right in the first minutes with consecutive shots from striker Geovane Magno. However, it was Young Elephants who scored first with a tap-in from Bounphachan Bounkong in the 6th minute.
Conceding early affected the mentality of Viettel players as in the next 30 minutes, they created many chances but couldn't convert them. Pedro Paolo missed two one-on-one chances against the opponent's keeper while midfielder Nguyen Duc Hoang Minh got two comfortable tap-ins but he didn't hit the target.
However, it didn't take long before Viettel equalized. Magno took a shot which forced the keeper to punch it out, but Paolo was quick to get a bicycle kick and scored. The equalizer took off the pressure from Viettel players and they got another goal from Paolo. This forward also assisted the third goal, which was scored by Hoang Minh.
The 3-1 lead helped Viettel play comfortably after the break. They kept possession in the midfield and didn't give the guests any chance to deploy an attack. Viettel even pushed forward and posed more threats towards Young Elephants.
In the 70th minute, Paolo completed his hattrick as he received a through ball from Magno and finished with power into the top corner.
Vietnam U23 striker Nham Manh Dung also left his mark in the game with the fifth goal for Viettel, when he accelerated into the box and curled it in, securing the 5-1 win for the hosts.
The thrashing win helped Viettel take the top spot in group I. They will play Cambodia's Phnom Penh Crown on Sunday.
- Ho Chi Minh City FC earn one point in AFC Cup opener in Myanmar
- Continental football confederation reschedules Vietnamese clubs’ AFC Cup games over new coronavirus
- AFC Cup 2020: Vietnamese striker among players to keep an eye on
- AFC changes schedule for Vietnamese clubs due to virus
- nCoV forces match venue change for two Vietnamese clubs at AFC Cup
- Vietnamese representatives in AFC Cup change plans due to nCoV situation
- AFC Cup: New signings shine in HCMC FC draw in Myanmar
- Bengaluru FC face Paro FC of Bhutan in AFC Cup encounter
- AFC Cup: Haokip strike helps Bengaluru FC edge out hosts Paro FC in Thimpu
- HCM City, Quảng Ninh to begin AFC Cup tournament away from home
- HCM City, Quang Ninh to representative Vietnam in AFC Cup
- Bamboo Airways to remain as national football cup sponsor
- Tata Open Maharashtra: Ramanathan, Raja enter doubles quarters, to face Paes next
- Vesely crowned champion at Tata Open Maharashtra
- Expanding space for overseas Vietnamese intellectuals' contribution to the country
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2020: India vs Pakistan, Highlights: India storm into final after thrashing Pakistan by 10 wickets
- Tata Open Maharashtra: Prajnesh, Paes off to winning start, Kadhe loses in opening round
- Zaheer Khan suggests Hardik Pandya to be patient, don't rush his comeback
- Dominant India crush Pakistan by 10 wickets to reach ICC U-19 World Cup finals
- Fed Cup: Anne Keothavong hopes home advantage will give Britain the X factor
Vietnamese club make strong comeback in AFC Cup opener have 510 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.