NEW YORK — Ambassador Đặng Hoàng Giang, Permanent Representative of Việt Nam to the United Nations, has affirmed the importance of international humanitarian efforts as well as Việt Nam's commitments to contribute to these activities.
Addressing the three-day UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Humanitarian Affairs Segment, which concluded on June 23, Giang said that in 2022, Việt Nam had donated US$500,000 to the UN's humanitarian funds and $1 million to the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) mechanism.
Việt Nam had also coordinated with other ASEAN member states, through the ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance (AHA) and UN offices, to provide humanitarian assistance for Myanmar people.
The diplomat affirmed that peace and stability were prerequisites to ensure safe and uninterrupted humanitarian access for those in need.
Humanitarian activities should be based on the principles of neutrality, impartiality and independence, upholding the UN Charter and international humanitarian law, in accordance with the conditions, needs and circumstances of each country, he stressed.
He said that countries had the most important roles and responsibilities in addressing the root causes of conflicts and humanitarian crises in a comprehensive way; and should strengthen their capacity to prevent diseases, reduce climate and environmental risks, strengthen early warning systems and preparedness, and increase financing for adaptation and resilience.
The Vietnamese Ambassador also emphasised the need to strengthen coordination and build trust between UN offices and Governments and stakeholders in action, finance and data sharing to promptly respond to emerging global humanitarian challenges.
He also took the occasion to send his deep condolences to the Afghan people affected by the strong earthquake in Paktika province on June 22.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres stated that global megatrends were converging into a mega-crisis of conflict, climate disruption, hunger and the rising cost of living.
"These challenges require us to step up our efforts to support a strong, flexible, well-resourced humanitarian system that is better equipped to reach and protect even the most isolated and marginalized people," he added.
ECOSOC President Colin Vixen Kelapile emphasised that women and girls were more affected during humanitarian crises, such as by gender-based violence, and limited access to education and development opportunities.
He called on the international community to provide humanitarian assistance for those affected in the humanitarian crisis, to draw lessons and innovate to maximise the effectiveness of humanitarian activities.
The event closed on June 23 with countries committing to bolstering humanitarian efforts around the globe. — VNS
- Vietnam joins int’l efforts in preventing financing of terrorists: Ambassador
- New Vietnamese Ambassador to UN presents credentials
- UN says farming should be at heart of Syria reconstruction
- Nikki Haley resigning as U.N. ambassador
- Ambassador affirms ASEAN’s efforts to narrow development gap
- The Latest: Israel urges UN to condemn Hamas for attack
- Premium humanitarians: Stan & Jody Reynolds honored for commitment to charities
- Ambassador backs entrepreneurship of Vietnamese youths in US
- Freeform Summit 2019 Touts Network's Diversity, Inclusion Efforts
- Social News In Brief 15/5
- VN, Czech enhance cooperation in aviation, automobile production
- Tourism administration boosts central destinations
- Condolences to Palestine over casualties in Gaza Strip conflict
- Tourism to drive the economy of ASEAN countries
- ASEAN Tourism Forum takes place 16-20 January 2017 in Singapore
- Tourism helps alleviating poverty in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region
- Vietnamese food an attractive tourism product
- Vietnam commits to promoting multilateralism
- Donald Trump and His Cabinet Should be Impeached for Illegal Attack on Syria
- Donald Trump and His Cabinet Could be Impeached for Attacking Syria
Việt Nam always supports UN’s humanitarian efforts: Ambassador have 577 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.