Reciprocating her sentiment, her Vietnamese counterpart Bui Thanh Son welcomed Wong's choice of Vietnam as her first Southeast Asian destination since taking office last month. He said her visit would strengthen and boost bilateral relations.
Wong will conclude her official visit to Vietnam on Tuesday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
She said Australia has always valued Vietnam’s role in the region and that the new government was committed to further strengthening the strategic partnership with Vietnam.
The two ministers agreed that it was important the two countries strengthen cooperation in sectors and industries hit hard by the pandemic like tourism, education, and labor cooperation, as well as traditional areas like trade, investment, defense and security.
They also agreed that the two countries would expand collaboration in climate change, green growth, and sustainability.
Son wanted Australia to continue contributing to regional cooperation with respect for ASEAN’s central role in promoting regional peace, stability and prosperity.
Wong emphasized the importance of Australia’s cooperative relationship with ASEAN, as well as the importance of maintaining peace, stability, safety and freedom of navigation and overflight while complying with international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
Vietnam and Australia established diplomatic relations in 1973 and became strategic partners in 2018.
Trade between the two countries was worth US$12.4 billion last year, about 50 percent more than in 2020.
Both countries aim to be among each other’s top 10 commercial partners and to double investments in each other by 2025.
- ASEAN 2020: Philippine diplomat highly values Vietnam’s leadership role
- Japanese ambassador to ASEAN speaks of Vietnam’s excellent role
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 21 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 18
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 15 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 20 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 24 (updated hourly)
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 29 (updated hourly)
- German FM eyes stronger ties with Vietnam
- Australian Ambassador lauds Vietnam’s chairing 37th ASEAN Summit and Related Summits
- Greater cohesion, bloc's centrality underscore Vietnam's success as ASEAN chair
- Vietnam caps term as ASEAN Chair with signing of major trade pact
- Vietnam and 14 nations ink world’s largest trade pact RCEP
- Vietnam inks world’s largest trade pact RCEP
- How Vietnam weathers global health crisis and rises?
- ASEAN-UN comprehensive partnership grows stronger than ever: UN Chief
- Overseas Vietnamese: Inseparable part of Vietnam
- Pompeo Adds Stop in Vietnam to Indo-Pacific Tour
- Vietnam – a magnet for foreign investors: Russian expert
- Conference promotes women’s role in UN peacekeeping operations
Australia values Vietnam's partnership, regional role: FM have 398 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 27, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.