HÀ NỘI — Quàng Thị Thu Nghĩa cried when she was as announced champion in the pencak silat in Hà Nội on the morning of May 16.
Nghĩa defeated Malaysian Siti Rahmah Binti Mohamed Nasir 39-32 to win the women’s U75kg category for her first time at the Games, although she has been practising the martial art for 10 years.
23-year-old Nghĩa has championed all competition levels, but this is the first time she has topped a regional biennial meet.
With her rapid attacking style and careful defence, Nghĩa quickly went ahead to lead the points in all three rounds.
It was Việt Nam’s first gold in the combat discipline, with many events to come this afternoon.
“I am happy and proud. I have worked hard to overcome all the challenges to have today’s success,” Nghĩa, of the Thái-ethnic-minority.
“It is my first SEA Games, so I was a little shaking and nervous because my rival has tasted this environment many times. She is more experienced than me and created many difficulties for me throughout the match.
“My coaches helped me a lot. They are good trainers showing me the best tactics and encouraging me all the time.
“This medal is for me, my family, friends, and coaches. Thanks to everyone.”
There are six more finals to come this afternoon.
The second gold of the morning went to Đinh Thị Như Quỳnh in the mountain bike event.
Quỳnh successfully defended her title in her home province of Hòa Bình, where she received strong support from her family.
“I am thrilled because I grabbed the gold for myself through strong determination and effort,” Quỳnh said.
“This is a precious medal for me. It will make me more confident in upcoming events.”
In shooting, Phí Thanh Thảo bagged a silver in the women’s 10m rifle. VNS
- Your daily guide to the Games: Marathon gold up for grabs, Aussie cyclists take to the velodrome
- Vietnam veteran sets eyes on rowing golds
- Give them a gold medal... for partying! How athletes let their hair down (helped by free £2,012 cocktails)
- Việt Nam veteran sets eyes on rowing golds
- Olympic Latest: Canada wins 1st gold in women's soccer
- Team GB's Tokyo 2020 Olympic gold medal winners, including Tom Daley and Max Whitlock
- Vuelta a España 2021 live stream: how to watch all cycling stages online from anywhere
- Today at the Olympics: French men play for gold in handball, volleyball
- Tokyo 2020 medal table: USA beat China to top spot after landing three golds on final day of Olympics
- Today at the Games: Galal Yafai grabs boxing gold while Tom Daley in action
- Jason Kenny storms to brilliant keirin win and seventh Olympic gold medal of glittering career
- Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj's gold medal is defining moment of Indian athletics, say former greats
- Team GB star Laura Kenny suffers a HUGE crash at the Tokyo Olympics in bid to defend omnium crown and win sixth gold
- Team GB boxing hero Lauren Price reveals she is in talks with Eddie Hearn about turning pro after winning Olympic gold
- Laura Kenny wins historic FIFTH Olympic gold alongside Katie Archibald in dominant Madison win for Team GB
- Denmark wins cycling track men's madison at Tokyo Olympics
- Mitchell of Canada wins cycling track women's sprint at Tokyo Olympics
- How grassroots sports won the Olympics
- 23 Shocking Olympics moments you probably missed from the Tokyo 2020 games
- Olympian cyclist Olivia Podmore's family mourn her sudden death
VN grab golds in pencak silat, cycling have 624 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 16, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.