HÀ NỘI — Felisberto de Deus, with a Vietnamese flag in his hand, waved at the fans cheering on his second silver medal at this year's Games.
One day after the historic SEA Games silver in the men's 5,000m event, Deus continued to make Timor Leste proud with another medal in the men's 10,000m.
The two silvers that Deus won are also the only medals of the Timor Leste delegation so far.
Massive effort helped the East Timorese finish second, behind only Vietnamese veteran Nguyễn Văn Lai who completed his golden double with a time of 32:17.34.
It was the second gold for the 35-year-old runner and the second time Lai surpassed Deus, the first time being in the 5,000m.
In the 800m heptathlon event, a superb performance by Nguyễn Linh Na bagged Việt Nam another gold, bettering Philippines' Sarah Noveno and bronze medalist Kamaruddin of Malaysia.
Na's 5415 points broke the national record of 5350 set by Nguyễn Thị Thu Cúc in 2005.
The win helped the hosts win gold in this category for the first time in the SEA Games.
Earlier, Việt Nam's Quách Thị Lan was crowned queen of the women's 400m hurdles with a time of 56.53 secs. Behind was her compatriot Nguyễn Thị Huyền whose 56.41 record beat the Philippines' Robyn Crisostomo by a tiny margin of 0.03 seconds.
While the women enjoyed success in the 400m hurdles, the men did less well.
Despite doing his best, Lan's brother Quách Công Lịch failed to win gold against the Filipino-American Eric Cray Brazas and ended up bagging silver as Singapore's Quek Calvin finished third.
In the men's triple jump category, Andre Anuar from Malaysia topped the medal table with a record of 16.21m, while Philippines' Mark Aloto brought home silver and Vietnamese Trần Văn Điển won bronze.
May 18 will hold the 10,000m (men and women), women's heptathlon, 100m (men and women), men’s high jump, women’s javelin and 4x400m relay (men and women) events.
All categories are held in the Mỹ Đình National Stadium in Hà Nội. VNS
- Malaysia wins 2nd Runner Up in the Mrs. Universe Classic Pageant in Sofia Bulgaria
- A year later, gold medal curler Matt Hamilton is still living the dream
- Olympic gold medal curler Matt Hamilton is still living the dream
- Local athletes win gold at state indoor track championships; Marlee Starliper sets state record at USA Championships
- Morning Roundup: Lletget leads US to 2nd win under Berhalter
- District 3 Class 3A wrestling notes: Kyle Swartz goes 3-for-3, Tate Nichter waits his turn, Aiden Lewis’ hard work pays off
- Pinecrest Elementary School’s recent successes
- Valley olive oil makers judged among best in the state
- Central Valley olive oil makers judged among best in the state
- Extreme cold can affect even the elite skiers
- Olympic cyclist Kelly Catlin of Minnesota seemed destined for glory. Why did she die by suicide?
- Susan Wagner sweeps the boys’ and girls’ Island PSAL Track and Field Championships
- Here are the 2019 Wasatch Front Sterling Scholar winners and runners-up
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes a break from World Cup to unwind and get well after historic world championships
- JTHS Special Olympics Basketball Team headed to 2019 State Tournament
- Events this week in York, Chester and Lancaster counties
- As Trump administration seeks cuts in Special Olympics funding, athletes and parents react
- One man attempts to revive boxing in Roswell
- Local author to read from new children's book today in I.C.
- Easter Egg Hunt guide for Shreveport-Bossier City
Timor Leste win 2nd medal, VN bag gold in 10,000m have 658 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 17, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.