During an online meeting with voters in Can Tho, Chinh said the largest economic center in Mekong Delta is an important hub for intra-regional and international transportation; therefore, it is necessary to build a railway connecting it with the southern metropolis and the country’s southernmost province Ca Mau.
Can Tho needs to develop infrastructure, especially traffic and complete regional and inter-regional connectivity projects to promote the central role and driving force of regional development, the PM stressed.
Some large ports will be invested and industrial parks developed, especially Vietnam Singapore Industrial Park Can Tho, he said, adding that he had discussed implementing some of these projects with international partners.
Can Tho will also be the training center of the region with a mission of developing high-quality human resources, he said.
The government has set a target of turning Can Tho into “a nuclear city in Mekong Delta that will be among the most well-developed cities in Asia.”
On May 12, Can Tho authorities suggested the Can Tho-HCMC railway should start construction by 2030 to transport goods for Mekong Delta and boost connectivity with the southern metropolis and other areas.
The project starts at An Binh Station in Binh Duong, an industria hub bordering HCMC, and ends at Cai Rang Station in Can Tho.
The 174-kilometer route runs through HCMC and the Mekong Delta’s Long An, Tien Giang and Vinh Long, with an estimated investment of $7 billion.
The HCMC-Can Tho railway route is a double-track railway with a designed speed of about 190 kph for passenger trains and 120 kph for freight trains.
With the above speed, the travel time from HCMC to Can Tho will be shortened to 75-80 minutes, instead of three to four hours by road.
Can Tho is one of Vietnam’s five biggest cities, alongside Hanoi, HCMC, Hai Phong and Da Nang.
Can Tho authorities are making efforts to turn it into a smart city by 2025.
- The end of the line was the end of an era but memories live on in aid of charity
- London terror attacker Khalid Masood died from a shot to chest from brave security officer, inquest hears
- London terror attack suspects arrested in connection with the atrocity now all released without charge
- Cabinet approves construction of jeep tracks in hilly areas
- Who to vote for in General Election 2017? Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Green and Ukip manifestos explained
- Kim Jong-un warns of ‘nuclear clouds over suicidal Japan’ as he brands the country’s Prime Minister a ‘headless chicken’
- Nelson's Column: Grandpa would say Ms Patel was Priti stupid and only has herself to blame
- Queen’s Speech at a glance – all the legislation Theresa May’s government will try to pass in the next two years
PM orders sped-up launch of HCMC-Mekong Delta railway have 447 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.