On May 13, an official welcome ceremony for his Indonesian counterpart Prabowo Subianto was held at the Headquarters of the Ministry of National Defense under the chair of Defense Minister Phan Van Giang.
At the talks held after the ceremony, the two ministers highlighted the positive outcomes in bilateral defense cooperation over the past time. In particular, the two sides have cooperated to effectively organize various cooperation contents, including dialogues, consultations, delegation exchanges, training, and collaboration between naval and coast guard forces, and research institutes, among others. These activities have been conducted on the basis of the Memorandum of Understanding on fostering cooperation between defense officials signed in 2010 by the two governments and the Joint Vision Statement on defense cooperation for the 2017-2022 period.
Especially, from late 2019, despite the severe impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the bilateral defense cooperation has been paid due attention to by the two countries and obtained practical results. Notably, the two sides have effectively maintained cooperation mechanisms and dialogues, signed cooperation agreements between naval and coast guard forces of the two countries, and fostered cooperation in training.
Regarding missions in the coming time, the two ministers agreed to continue carrying out cooperation contents set in agreements signed by the two governments and two defense ministries, bringing into play the effectiveness of dialogues, promoting exchange of delegations at all levels. Cooperation between naval and coast guard forces of the two countries and in training, education, and defense industry sectors should be paid due attention to, the two leaders said.
Also at the talks, the two sides exchanged views on regional and international issues of mutual concern. They affirmed the need of maintaining peace, security, stability, safety, and freedom of aviation and navigation in the East Sea (South China Sea); respecting international law, including the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) 1982; effectively carrying out the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC); working actively towards the signing of an effective and substantive Code of Conduct in the East Sea (COC).
The Vietnamese Defense Minister asked maritime law enforcement agencies of the two countries to promote information exchange, so as to effectively deal with emerging issues in line with the strategic partnership of the two countries and spirit of treating fishermen kindly.
General Phan Van Giang cordially invited leaders of the Indonesian Ministry of National Defense to attend the first International Defense Exhibition in Vietnam, scheduled to be held in December, 2022 and send defense enterprises to introduce their products at the exhibition.
Translated by Tran Hoai
- ASEAN Defense Senior Officials’ Meeting opens in Da Nang
- Chinese Defense Minister expected to visit Vietnam in May
- Defense Minister visits military units
- Russia's defense minister discussed Mideast crisis with Turkish, Iranian officials
- Officials visit war heroes in build up to Wounded Soldiers and Martyrs
- Iranian Foreign Minister to visit India
- Indonesian FM discusses with Iranian, US ambassadors
- French Communist Party attaches importance to ties with Vietnam
- Indonesia's president visits island in waters disputed by China
- Indonesian President affirms sovereignty over Natuna islands
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc welcomes Japanese Foreign Minister
- Hillary Clinton Refuses to Sing for Indonesian TV Hosts
- Vietnam approves Japan’s opening of consular office in Da Nang
- UN leaders, countries highly value Vietnam’s international stature
- PM Nguyễn Xuân Phúc welcomes Japanese Foreign Minister
- Deputy PM meets officials from countries at UNSC open debate
- Việt Nam, China beef up defence ties: ministers
- Vietnam-US ‘have come a long way’: 7th Fleet commander
- Vietnam allows Japan to open consulate general in Da Nang
- Minister visits families of police officers died in disturbance in Dong Tam
Indonesian Defense Minister officially visits Vietnam have 588 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.