Vietnam entered SEA Games 31 as the defending champions, having won gold in the most two recent editions of the regional tournament in 2019 and 2017. In the first game, the team faced the Philippines, who have been on the rise recently thanks to their policy of importing players from countries like Germany and Japan.
After Rivera Annis score d for the opponents in the 15th minute, Vietnam showed their great fighting spirit. Towards the end of the first half, Nguyen Thi Tuyet Dung (number 7) essayed a volley that equalized for the host s .
In the second half, Tran Thi Thuy Trang (number 15) completed the comeback for Vietnam after a great build-up play with captain Huynh Nhu.
Vietnam (R) play against Cambodia in the last group game to secure the top spot.
Since Indonesia dropped out of women's football, there were only three teams left in group A.
Playing against a much weaker opponent, coach Mai Duc Chung decided to use the second team , who scored only one goal in the first half. However, as the opponents ' stamina started running on low, Vietnam stepped up with six goals in the second half to end the game with a dominant 7-0 scoreline .
Entering the semifinals as the group topper, Vietnam (R) faced Myanmar. This was a tough game with the opponent knowing Vietnam's approach very well.
However, with a first half goal by Huynh Nhu (pictured) , Vietnam controlled the game comfortably and kept their defense solid , neutraliz ing all threats from Myanmar to win 1-0 and advance to the final.
The final was against a familiar, experienced arch rival – Thailand. The t wo teams ha d clashed in eight SEA Games final s , with Vietnam winning four of them .
Vietnam approached the game with caution , combining attack and defense to create several scoring chances that could not be converted.
The second half saw Thailand push forward and Vietnam took advantage of this change to deploy counter-attacks. One of them brought Vietnam the breakthrough, with Duong Thi Van making an excellent through ball for Huynh Nhu (pictured) to collect . Nhu calmly dribbled past Thailand keeper and finished into the empty net.
Nhu (L) didn't score in the group stage, but the 30-year-old sh one in the semifinal and final games with winning goals.
Thailand tried hard to find the equalizer in the last 30 minutes, but they couldn't fìnd a way past the Vietnam defense.
After the final whistle, the players and fans were jubilant as Vietnam claimed the women's football gold medal for th ird time in a row.
- Indonesia aim for 3X3 basketball gold during 2019 SEA Games
- Football: Women's team clinch Inter-Island gold
- Cameroon lose the plot at World Cup against England Women
- Millie Bright on how women's football inspired a generation
- Women's World Cup: Record-breaking feats, empty seats
- Women's World Cup: The English coaches driving USA success
- How to get your football fix this summer
- A look at the football on TV this summer
- Sophie Ingle: Wales captain aims to turn silver into gold
- Ladies getting a kick out of the beautiful game
- Mike Pejic: Why I will be watching the women's World Cup
- Women's World Cup: England finish fourth after Sweden defeat
- Island Games: More Manx medals expected on last day
- Women's World Cup quarterfinals set to be 'wild and crazy'
- How Lionesses can inspire new Grimsby Town Women's side
- A look ahead with Grimsby Town women's captain Sophie Bartup
- Duane Holmes makes final cut for USA Gold Cup squad
- Women's World Cup: Henry gets winner as France beat Brazil
- Women's World Cup: England play Scotland in their opening match
- Mexico beat US to win Gold Cup
Indomitable: Vietnamese women’s journey to SEA Games football gold have 622 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.