HÀ NỘI — Outstanding performances at the ongoing Games not only bring glorious moments for athletes but also significant cash bonuses as a reward for all the ‘sweat and tears’ they have given to their teams.
After beating Indonesia in the semi-final of men’s football, Thailand’s team secured THB1 million (about US$29,000) from Thai Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn, according to Nualphan Lamsam, manager of the team.
Nualphan said the Thai minister watched the semi-final match at Thiên Trường Stadium in Nam Định Province. Impressed with the War Elephants’ performance, he decided to award them the bonus.
Earlier, Nualphan pledged to give players a THB5 million ($145,400) bonus if they won gold at the Games, which does not include the bonus of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT).
According to SAT, athletes who win gold, silver and bronze medals at the Games will be awarded THB300,000 ($8,700), THB150,000 and THB75,000.
In the men’s football, the Việt Nam national football team will receive a reward of VNĐ1 billion ($43,000) after the victory over Malaysia in the semi-final.
The cash award comes from the Vietnam Football Federation. If the Golden Star Warriors win the final, the money they can pocket is expected to be much higher.
Their female counterparts, the Việt Nam’s women’s football team, have received an even bigger amount.
After their victory over Myanmar in the semi-final on May 19, the team received VNĐ1.3 billion ($56,000), in which the Vietnam Football Federation (VFF) awarded VNĐ800 million, the People’s Committee of Quảng Ninh Province donated VNĐ200 million and a business VNĐ300 million.
The next day, another business handed another VNĐ2 billion over to head coach Mai Đức Chung, raising the total amount they have received to over VNĐ3 billion.
Similarly, medal winners in Việt Nam’s xiangqi (Chinese chess) team are expected to receive a cash bonus. The xiangqi competition wrapped up on May 20, with the Vietnamese team topping the medal tally with three golds.
The Việt Nam Xiangqi Chess Federation and its sponsors are expected to reward VNĐ70 million for a gold medalist, VNĐ20 million for a silver medal and VNĐ10 million for a bronze.
These are on top of the cash bonus each athlete will receive from the State for their medals which are VNĐ45 million, 25 million and 20 million for each gold, silver and bronze.
Meanwhile, huge cash bonuses await Filipino medalists.
According to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper, world champion gymnast Carlos Yulo has become the biggest winner among Filipino athletes in the Games, both in the number of the gold medals he won and the monetary value he gets from these victories.
Yulo is already assured of at least P1,800,000 ($34,500) in cash incentives from the Philippines government after securing five gold medals and two silvers in the seven events of men’s gymnastics.
Under Philippines law, each individual gold medal brings an award worth P300,000 ($5,740), while a silver medalist will fetch P150,000 and a bronze medal P60,000.
Also, according to Inquirer , medal-performing athletes can earn more apart from the cash windfall from the Philippine Sports Commission.
By tradition in the current administration, Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte invites the medalists to the Presidential Palace, releases cash bonuses and hands out additional monetary rewards, matching the basic incentives from the government.
Coaches of medal-earning athletes are also provided with cash incentives worth 50 per cent of the cash bonuses the athletes receive. — VNS
- Athletics: Inspiration Games brings top athletes together, virtually
- Vietnamese athletes are sad about Tet bonus
- Vietnam athletes going for gold at SEA Games
- Best PS4 and PS5 Games You Can Play Online Without PlayStation Plus 2021
- Cassidy Lichtman On Athletes Unlimited Volleyball: ‘The Interesting Thing Is We Redraft Teams Every Wek’
- Cassidy Lichtman On Athletes Unlimited Volleyball: ‘The Interesting Thing Is We Redraft Teams Every Week’
- Pokémon Presents event reveals a new open-world game and Diamond/Pearl remakes
- The Athletes Have More to Say
- Olympics official says prioritise athletes for coronavirus jab so Tokyo Games can go ahead
- Vietnamese judo and kurash fighters face tough SEA Games challenge
- Local Lawmakers Set To Introduce ‘Fair Pay To Play Act’ To Allow Student-Athletes To Get Paid
- Here's every game available for free on Google Stadia Pro right now
- E-sports: Game over for Evos SG's Stefan Chong
- Deja McClendon On Athletes Unlimited Volleyball: ‘We Really Want To See This Grow’
- Best iPad Games 2021
- Vietnam’s first Winter Games team trains on... sand
- Athletics: Wada calls Russia ban over doping 'very strong' move
- Super Mario Bros. 35 guide: Everything the game doesn’t tell you
- How to get FREE PS5 and PS4 games right now – including Final Fantasy 7 remake
- New PS5 games in March 2021 revealed – including Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawk release dates
Games bonuses await athletes have 819 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 21, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.