The bank is collecting feedback on its draft circular to replace the current version with stricter conditions for receiving short-term foreign loans to ensure a national debt limit.
The draft will allow Vietnamese businesses to access short-term foreign loans for paying debt, but not for potentially risky purposes like trading stock and real estate.
This is because once the stock and real estate market grows way above its intrinsic value, there would be a high chance of creating an asset bubble, causing economic instability.
The central bank plans to ban the use of short-term foreign loans to buy projects or stakes in them, since mergers and acquisitions involve long-term investment and commitment.
It also plans to ban companies using short-term foreign loans to acquire projects or stakes in projects, as mergers and acquisitions are long-term activities.
Short-term loans could result in liquidity risks if used for medium- and long-term purposes, it explained.
Companies may borrow from foreign sources to buy stakes from project investors with the aim of reselling them for profit. This can further inflate the price bubble while delivering no real value to the economy.
The central bank also mulls regulations on foreign lending costs and short- and medium-term foreign lending conditions for banks.
The proposal came amid many businesses taking out foreign loans to capitalize on lower international interests, affecting the withdrawal limit and raising short-term debt.
To ensure the national debt limit approved by the National Assembly, the government has tasked the central bank with tightening regulations on foreign loans for private enterprises.
- Vietnam c.bank to continue tightening credit into real estate
- Rural Co-operative Banks permitted to Lend to Commercial Real Estate
- What to Know About Real Estate Investment Loans: Newrez SmartVest
- Banks anticipate real estate credit rally
- Deeper capital focus required for real estate arena
- Real estate companies thirsty for capital
- Capital, real estate markets need to become transparent
- RBI Repo Rate: RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps; How it may impact loan EMIs, real estate sector | - Times of India
- Real estate market in choppy waters: experts
- The Hater’s Guide to the Bay Area real estate market
- The New York Real Estate Tycoon Who Brought His Surfboards to Work
- Chakri Lokapriya on 7 bank and real estate stocks that will benefit from rate hike
- More personal insolvencies possible, central bank warns
- Central banks are desperate to make up for past sins
- Sri Lanka Central Bank chief threatens to quit amid unrest
- Outskirts more viable for real estate plans
- Insurance companies prohibited from trading real estate
- Retail and real estate will continue to see major litigations in the post-pandemic world: Ameet Naik, Naik Naik & Co
- Vietnam to ban insurance companies from real estate investment
- ‘Real estate may see huge investments’
Central bank limits foreign loans for trading stock, real estate have 438 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.