Thailand won four golds while the Philippines and Việt Nam secured three titles each on the last day of the SEA Games 31 competition on May 22.
The first victory of the Thais went to Somchay Wongsuwan in the men’s 57kg as he beat Farrand Papendang of Indonesia 5-0.
Bunjong Sinsiri followed his compatriot on the top podium after defeating Sarohatua Lumbantobing of Indonesia 5-0 in the men’s 69kg category.
Jakkapong Yomkhot beat Cambodian Ong Pherak in the men’s 91kg class with a 5-0 result.
Chuthamat Raksat outclassed Trịnh Thị Diễm Kiều of Việt Nam 5-0 in the women’s 48kg pool.
Rogen Ladon retained the men’s 52kg title after beating Vietnamese bet Trần Văn Thảo for Philippine boxing’s first gold at the Games on at Bắc Ninh Province’s Gymnasium.
Ladon was the aggressor from the get-go en route to a 3-2 split decision victory.
The 28-year-old Ladon found an opening early and kept connecting his combinations to put Thảo on his heels.
Ladon, a Rio Olympian, is the first of four Filipino boxers competing for the gold.
Shortly after Rogen Ladon won gold, Ian Clark Bautista followed suit as the Philippine boxing team went two-for-two in its gold medals bid.
Bautista dominated Naing Latt of Myanmar with a 5-0 unanimous decision win in the men’s 57kg class.
Bautista was determined to claim the gold after settling for the bantamweight bronze in the 2019 SEA Games in Manila.
Another win for the Pinoys went to Eumir Marcial, who was given a win over Delio Anzaqeci Mouzinho of Timor Leste with the referee stopping the contest in the men’s 75kg.
Trần Thị Linh of Việt Nam was confident to begin her final against Huswatun Hasanah of Indonesia in the women’s 60kg after she beat Tokyo Games silver medalist Nesthy Petecio Alcayde of the Philippines on May 21.
The giant killer, who also defeated two SEA Games champions in the previous rounds, attacked with heavy punches on Hasanah. But the Indonesian was not an easy rival and gave Linh several hits in the first round in return.
The second round was all Linh’s as she changed her tactics with fast bouts and quick moves that left Hasanah confused in both attack and defence. Linh was announced the winner with a 5-0 win.
Earlier, former Asian champion Nguyễn Thị Tâm defended her title in the women’s 51kg, beating Irish Magno Ardiente of the Philippines 5-0.
Meanwhile, Vương Thị Vỹ added a second gold for Việt Nam in the women’s 57kg after winning 5-0 over Nilawan Techasuep of Thailand.
The boxing team completed their mission with three golds belonging to the female boxers. It was the first time Vietnamese women have grabbed such high results at the SEA Games.
Thailand topped the medal tally with four golds, two silvers and three bronzes. Việt Nam were second with three golds, two silvers and two bronzes, and the Philippines were third with three golds, one silver and five bronzes.
- Fury vacates heavyweight boxing titles to focus on recovery
- Alex Eala claims ITF W25 title in Thailand
- Rogen Ladon, PH boxers win gold medals in Thailand tilt
- Thailand News Today | Famous Youtuber exposes Thailand Test & Go “mess”
- Tyson Fury has new opponent on standby in case Dillian Whyte withdraws from title clash
- Gabriel Rosado starred in Creed and has ‘real-life Rocky story’ fit for Hollywood but eyes world title to cap off career
- Boxing tonight: Schedules, live streams, how to watch Conor Benn and Errol Spence vs Ugas
- Boxing tonight: Schedules, live streams, how to watch Gennady Golovkin and Ryan Garcia
- Tyson Fury only seventh on boxing's rich list - while Jake Paul is above Anthony Joshua
- Bellator champion skips title bout to stay in Ukraine
- Wembley to stage Fury vs Whyte title bout in April
- Dillian Whyte shares criticism of Tyson Fury undercard in first fight social media post
- Yordenis Ugas shares gruesome update of horror injury and reveals he couldn’t open swollen right eye for 40 hours
- Jeff Stelling shares nasty snap of black eye and tells fans he's "done a Tyson Fury"
- Ebanie Bridges shares petrified pic and asks fans "what the hell did Eddie Hearn say"
- Ebanie Bridges has temperatures soaring with nothing on but boxing gloves and underwear
- Boxing urged to cut ties with promoter sanctioned by US
- Ring girls who became famous after boxing from Ebanie Bridges to Love Island star
- Gerwyn Price dwarfed by John Fury and Hafthor Bjornsson as he takes in night of boxing
- Việt Nam wins two golds at Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament
Boxing titles shared among Thailand, the Philippines and VN have 786 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 22, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.