HÀ NỘI — The sixth congress of the Việt Nam Association of the Elderly (VAE) for the 2021-2026 tenure opened in Hà Nội on Friday.
The Congress was attended by more than 400 delegates representing over 9.7 million members across the country.
Addressing the event, chairwoman of the association Phạm Thị Hải Chuyền praised the important contributions made by VAE over the years, especially in their protection of Việt Nam’s sovereignty and the nation's socio-economic development.
She also complimented the practical and meaningful activities of the Elderly Association at all levels. They helped create better living conditions for the elderly.
Through multiple emulation movements, the VAE at all levels has encouraged not only the elderly but all of society to actively participate in local socio-economic development.
At the meeting, National Assembly Vice-Chairman Trần Thanh Mẫn highly appreciated the Elderly Association at all levels for their dedication, responsibility, and activeness in taking care of and promoting the role of the elderly.
The sixth congress of the VAE aims to review the successes and failures of the 2016-2021 tenure, along with amending and supplementing the VAE's Charter and electing the sixth VAE Central Executive Committee.
During a meeting in Hà Nội on Thursday with delegates to the sixth National Congress of the VAE, Party General Secretary Nguyễn Phú Trọng hailed the VAE for their achievements over the past five years.
He asked the VAE to uphold its crucial role in the campaign: "All people care for and uphold the role of the elderly", with the aim of bringing healthy and happy lives to aged persons in their families and society.
The leader suggested the sixth National Congress of the VAE discuss in-depth how to implement policies for the elderly as mentioned in the Resolution adopted by the 13th National Party Congress.
He noted that the VAE needs to popularise the results of its Congress among the elderly and promptly grasp the wishes and aspirations of the elderly, especially those in disadvantaged situations.
The VAE should strongly promote the role of senior citizens in building the Party and administrations, fighting corruption and negative behaviours, ensuring political security and social safety and order, he said, adding that it should also work closely with the Việt Nam Fatherland Front and mass organisations to monitor the implementation of the Law on the Elderly, the National Action Programme on the Elderly, and other policies for the elderly, as well as serve as a bridge between the Party and people.
Ministries, agencies and local authorities were urged to raise their sense of responsibility for caring for the elderly and direct the effective implementation of Party and State policies on the elderly in the cause of national construction and defence.
VAE Chairwoman Chuyền said that by 2020, Việt Nam had 11.4 million elderly individuals, accounting for nearly 12 per cent of the total population. Around 9.7 million of them are members of the Elderly Association.
Every year, all levels of associations admit on average 43,000 new members.
The association’s patriotic emulation campaign drew millions of senior citizens and 650,000 members joined in social work at the grassroots level.
As many as 365,000 old persons nationwide were honoured for their business successes. More than 3,000 self-help clubs led by the elderly made considerable contributions to poverty reduction. They also joined in combating social vices, protecting border areas and maintaining national cultural identity, she added. — VNS
- Viet Nam transforms secondary towns into more competitive tourism...
- Ha Nam famous for Dai Hoang king banana
- Door open wide for farm produce export to Europe
- Vietnamese – style coffee space to open in Italy
- Sarawak triumphs at Global Tribes Gathering at 55th ICCA Congress 2016
- Martinez horse arena to stay open for equine enthusiasts
- Ellison, 1st Muslim in Congress, running for Minnesota AG
- East County Family Justice Center celebrates grand opening
- Photos from the National Rifle Association's 2018 conference in Dallas
- National Congress of the Portuguese Association of Travel and Tourism Agencies opens in Macao
- PolyU: Travel needs can help improve elderly quality of life
- The congress of APAVT scheduled for November in Macao
- The Philippines gears up for international association meetings
- The third edition of India Association Congress 2013 to take place along with business travel MICE Expo
- The World of Hospitality heads to China for the IH&RA 42nd Annual Congress Orient Express
- Horasis Asia Meeting 2018 opens in Binh Duong
- Congress Moves to Open Up Paddling in National Parks
- Rod Rosenstein says Justice Department won't be extorted by Congress amid calls for his impeachment
- Westworld Episode 2.07 Preview: Open Your Eyes
- Southern Food Festival opens in HCM City
Việt Nam Association of the Elderly Congress opens have 774 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at January 14, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.