CHÀM ISLANDS — The Chàm Island's Marine Protected Area (MPA) management board and Quảng Nam provincial rangers have released an endangered turtle to the local forest, three days after it was captured by a local farmer and handed to the MPA.
Huỳnh Thùy Hương, an MPA communication employee, told Việt Nam News that the Chinese strip-neck turtle ( Mauremys sinensis ) was found by Trương Công Tánh at a paddy field in Điện Bàn Town in Quảng Nam Province on January 14, who gave the turtle to the MPA.
The 1.5kg, 24cm shell turtle, which is listed in the International Union for Conservation of Nature as a critically endangered species, was returned to the wild on January 20.
According to MPA, seven tortoises and sea turtles, handed in by locals, have been released in the Chàm Islands in 2021.
The Chàm Islands-Hội An (including the total area of the Islands' land and water and Hội An) was recognised as a World Biosphere Reserve in 2009. It is home to a large population of sea turtles and tortoises.
The MPA also reported that nearly 1,000 baby turtles had been released into the ocean in 2017-19 since the ex-situ hatching (moving turtle eggs to another place for hatching) conservation project was launched in 2017.
The Chàm Islands is the only successful site for the ex-situ turtle eggs hatching project in central Việt Nam. — VNS
- Loggerhead turtle lays winter eggs, four months out of season, leaving scientists baffled
- Cane toads may be answer to save endangered loggerhead turtle eggs from goanna attacks
- Country diary: wilding calls to the turtle dove
- Endangered Kemp's ridley turtle washes up on Gower beach
- Endangered sea turtle saved from discarded net in southern Vietnam
- Two Vietnamese marine turtle species have 'disappeared,' says IUCN
- Curtain of greenery protects endangered sea turtles from artificial light
- Plea to report sightings of rare loggerhead turtle in Swanage
- Man caught taking turtle from Hoan Kiem Lake
- Google develops AI to analyze more than 4.5 million photos of rare wild animals taken by remote camera installations in nature reserves and wilderness areas
- The Guam rail was extinct in the wild for nearly 40 years. Now it's back.
- Conservation agency approved cull of endangered birds, documents show
- Two detained for transporting wild langur
- 'SNL': Olivia Wilde Steals One of Eddie Murphy’s Props
- Return To The Witcher 2: Part 1 - The Good Bits
- Outer Wilds returns from the void with a new trailer
- 'Wild geese families': Stress, loneliness for South Korean families heading overseas to gain edge in 'brutal' education system
- David and Candice Warner host wild super-yacht Christmas party on Sydney Harbour with 50 friends - as the couple celebrate successfully turning their lives around following year from hell
- Nazem Kadri scores winner, Maple Leafs beat Wild, 5-3
- Wilde In the Country: Fatale Released
Endangered turtles returned to wild have 535 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.