HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam had a stuttering 2-0 win against Laos in Singapore on Monday night, but Vũ Văn Thanh's penalty miss may cause the Golden Star Warriors difficulties as they compete for top spot in Group B.
Việt Nam and Malaysia both won their opening games in Group B by the same goal difference. However, Việt Nam ranks 2nd due to scoring one goal less than the opponent as Malaysia defeated Cambodia 3-1 in the earlier match.
The situation could have been totally different if the penalty had been converted.
After the match, coach Park was still satisfied with his team’s performance, saying he'd rather focus on the next matches including the most important match against Malaysia.
"The next match against Malaysia truly is the early final," said Park.
"We have watched Malaysia play and we will have specific analysis and tactics for the upcoming match.
"We will do our best to help the team achieve the best position."
Talking about the penalty, Park said that the decision came from Thanh's desire to take the spotkick as there was no appointed penalty taker on the field that day.
"Before every match, there will be players assigned to take penalties. In this match, Lương Xuân Trường is the first penalty taker, then Nguyễn Tiến Linh," said the 64-year-old manager.
"When we got the penalty, both Trường and Linh were not playing, while Thanh was confident to take charge, so that's how the decision was made."
Park’s men will next face Malaysia on Sunday, this is considered the “early final” of Group B when both teams are among the tournament favourites and have reached the final of the previous 2018 AFF Cup.
Previous results are supporting the Golden Star Warriors as Malaysia couldn't win a single match against Việt Nam for seven years since the 4-2 victory at Mỹ Đình Stadium in the semi-final second leg of the 2014 AFF Cup. — VNS
- Case for defence presents penalties to settle A-League grand final
- Việt Nam held by UAE in tournament opener
- Việt Nam ready to face familiar foe UAE: coach Park
- Barty not concerned despite early Brisbane exit
- Atletico stun Barca to reach Super Cup final
- Nadal recovers from upset loss to help Spain move into ATP Cup semi-final
- Nadal and Djokovic make winning start in ATP Cup
- Blues penalty parade costs them dearly in Game 1
- 5 years on, Malaysia open to proposals to resume MH370 search
- Which team have scored the most own goals in a single match?
- Real Madrid Beat Atletico Madrid on Penalties to Win 11th Spanish Super Cup
- Malaysia Masters: PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal look to begin 2020 on a high
- Ranji Trophy newsfile: Shubman Gill fined entire match fee for dissent
- Match highlights, CSK vs MI, IPL 2019: Mumbai Indians thump Chennai Super Kings to seal 46-run win
- SuperCoach BBL: Is Chris ‘Air’ Jordan the Perth Scorcher to make skipper for Round 6?
- Women's Asia Cup T20 Final Highlights, IND vs BAN: Bangladesh Beat India In Thrilling Finish, Clinch Women's Asia Cup Title
- Croatia beat Denmark in penalties to advance to World Cup quarterfinals
- The Latest: Samoa center Rey Lee-Lo gets 3-match ban at RWC
- World Cup 2018: Croatia reach first final after Mario Mandzukic extra-time winner against England
- Spanish Super Cup: Real Madrid beats Atletico Madrid in penalty kicks for title
Việt Nam’s penalty miss makes the next match against Malaysia an “early final” have 611 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at December 8, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.