A total 11,826 cars were registered Wednesday, compared to around 1,200 a day in the last week of November, according to the General Department of Taxation.
Wednesday was the first day a government decree, which gives locally produced and assembled cars a registration fee discount of 50 percent for six months, came into effect.
The day’s figure alone exceeds the total number of registration in August at 8,800 units.
“We are mobilizing all our staff to resolve the surge in demand for registration,” a media representative of the taxation department said.
Car dealers have also seen the number of customers triple after the new decree was announced.
This is the second time in the last two years such a cut is being made to mitigate the difficulties faced by the auto industry due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In the first six months last year, 17,600 cars were bought on average each month. In the second half, when the 50 percent cut took effect, sales doubled.
Registration fees are calculated based on car prices in each locality. The rates are 12 percent in Hanoi and Hai Phong, and 10 percent in Ho Chi Minh City.
Last year, car sales had fallen by 8 percent to 296,634 units as the Covid-19 pandemic badly affected the economy, hitting incomes and discretionary spending.
- Shares rally on investors excitement over fees cut
- OPEC+ Agrees to 10 Million BPD Cuts in Oil Production, Initial Reduction to Start May 1 -Report
- Electric car sales in Europe jump, but still just 4% of market
- Car demand suffers after Covid-19 peaked
- Sebi cuts broker turnover fees, filing charges for documents on public issues, buyback
- Ford’s Bullitt trailer is a delightful homage to the best car chase ever filmed
- China car sales mark first rise in 22 months, but virus to still slam 2020
- Nissan’s global cuts has put Datsun brand in a limbo
- Many fees slashed to support businesses post-pandemic
- NYC Council To Look Into Food Delivery App Fees
- Bay Area cities face grim financial outlook amid budget slashing. Here’s what cities are planning to cut
- Future cars: The best upcoming cars worth waiting for
- Two new cars, designed from the inside out
- The 10 best coconut recipes
- Escape to the country: Housebuyers plan rural retreat after lockdown as estate agents see surge of enquiries in 'out of city' locations - from Dorset to Shetland - due to millions working from home
- California’s Budget Cuts Threaten Environmental Spending
- Tax on dividend, rent, insurance payment cut by 25%
- Coronavirus Roundup: Santa Clara Bans Car Parades; Renegade East Bay Barber Skirts Shutdown; COVID-19 Dreams
- Cycling could increase five-fold in London after lockdown
- Cutting costs crucial to survival of maritime transport
Car registration surges 10-fold with fee cut have 420 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.