The flight carrying over 30 passengers, mainly Vietnamese Americans, took off from Tan Son Nhat International Airport in HCMC at 8:57 p.m. Sunday (local time) and landed at San Francisco International Airport at 7:42 p.m. Sunday (local time), after a 13,000-kilometer journey.
“The success of the inaugural commercial direct flight to the U.S. marked a new milestone for Vietnam Airlines in particular and Vietnam’s aviation in general,” said President and CEO of Vietnam Airlines, Le Hong Ha, in a statement.
Ivar C. Satero, Director of San Francisco Airport, said in the statement released by Vietnam Airlines: “We are honored to be the first airport in the U.S. to offer nonstop regular flights to Vietnam. We are proud to offer a world-class experience with seamless access throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and grateful to Vietnam Airlines for making San Francisco their first U.S. destination.”
Initially, Vietnam Airlines will conduct two flights per week from HCMC to San Francisco using the Boeing 787 and Airbus A350, the two most modern wide-body aircraft.
The airline aims to increase the frequency to seven flights per week after the Covid-19 pandemic is brought under control and the government agrees to resume regular commercial flights. Last week, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh said Vietnam plans to reopen regular international flights from next month.
Vietnam Airlines also plans to open a new route connecting Los Angeles to Hanoi and HCMC, Vietnam’s two biggest metropolises.
There are nearly 24,000 Vietnamese students and approximately 2.2 million overseas Vietnamese living in the U.S., according to official statistics.
From Nov. 8, Vietnamese tourists are allowed to enter the U.S. but must furnish a certificate proving they had been fully vaccinated and present a negative test result obtained within 72 hours. Although not mandatory, the American government still encourages people to self-isolate for 7-10 days upon arrival.
The U.S. has one of the most stringent aviation standards in the world. There are around 20 airlines operating routes between Vietnam and the U.S.
- Riyadh-Baku regular direct flights to start in October
- Vietnam Airlines emergency landing after breast implant incident
- LOT launches direct flights to Seoul
- Vietnam Airlines flights added on National Day
- Vietnam Airlines flights Saigon - Phu Quoc
- Vietnam Airlines re-exploits Pleiku Airport
- Vietnam Airlines tips for delayed or canceled flights
- Vietnam Airlines upgrades service quality
- Vietnam Airlines tickets refund and things to know
- Vietnam Airlines targets to become five-star airline
- Vietnam Airlines Autumn promotion
- Vietnam Airlines promotes cheap flights to Phu Quoc
- Vietnam Airlines flights to Quang Nam
- Cheap Vietnam Airline tickets to Nha Trang, why not book?
- Vietnam Airlines Business class plays golf for free
- Vietnam Airlines excess baggage tips
- Vietnam Airlines Golden Moment program
- Vietnam Airlines serves cocktail on long haul flights
- Vietnam Airlines tips at Lien Khuong International Airport
- Vietnam Airlines resumes normal flights to Japan after storm Hagibis
Vietnam Airlines debuts regular US direct flight have 456 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.