Nguyen Thi Thu Huong, deputy director of the department, said Sunday the cause of the death of the 16-year-old male student was initially determined as “overreaction to the vaccine.”
He was first treated at the Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi with a female student of the same age, also suffering from severe anaphylaxis after receiving the Pfizer vaccine on November 24 in Son Dong District. Another two students with less severe reaction are being treated in the district.
A Bach Mai hospital representative said that the girl remained in critical condition and doctors were trying their best to save her.
The anaphylaxis cases happened when 700 students were vaccinated with Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine at a mobile vaccination station set up at the Son Dong High School No. 2 and Ethnic Minority Boarding School in the eponymous district.
About 15-30 minutes after inoculation, four students had anaphylaxis symptoms. Two of them had severe reactions like dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, pale skin, slow heart rate, and blood oxygen saturation index below 90 percent, compared to the normal rate of 95-100 percent.
On receiving the two students, doctors at the Bach Mai Hospital immediately treated them with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), focusing on improving their cardiopulmonary functions.
Nearly 30 provinces and cities have vaccinated children 12-17 years old with more than 2 million doses. More than 23.1 percent of the children in the age group have received at least one dose.
Since November 12, Bac Giang has vaccinated children 12-18 years old with nearly 174,000 doses.
The Health Ministry said that vaccinations in other localities happened safely. The most common reactions in children after receiving the Covid vaccine are mild fever, muscle pain, and arm pain, it noted.
Vietnam has approved two vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna for vaccinating children between 12-17 years of age.
Bac Giang has recorded over 6,969 Covid-19 cases in the fourth coronavirus wave, with 15 deaths. Over 1.2 million people have been vaccinated, and more than 820,000 million have received two doses.
- Vietnam to replace pentavalent vaccine this year
- Number of Vietnamese yearning for vaccination against rabies surges amidst vaccine scarcity
- The boy with telephone number tattoo
- Social News In Brief 15/5
- Social News 29/4
- Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News – April 17
- Government News 18/11
- Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News – April 6
- Cold snap is causing chaos across Spain
- Typhoon Bebinca weakens, but leaves villages submerged in water
- The Changing Faces of Beijing
- Travel Notes From Beijing
- Social News 16/4
- Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News – June 14
- Another reason to give your child the MMR jab: Measles wipes the immune system's memory 'and leaves children vulnerable to other killer bugs'
- Travel series: a travel guide to Tanzania
- Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News – June 24
- Just 100 adorable photos of Prince Harry with kids that prove he'll make a great dad
- All the world's an art school
- Les Auteurs: Quebec directors make their mark in world cinema
Student dies after receiving Covid vaccine in northern province have 458 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.