Mount Fansipan, the highest peak of Vietnam, was hoar frost-covered on Sunday evening and early Monday morning, while local temperatures dropped to as low as zero degrees Celsius due to the effect of a southbound cold wave.
Luu Minh Hai, director of Lao Cai Province Hydro-Meteorological Station, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Monday that some areas of the mountain have been coated with a thin blanket of snow in the morning.
A cold spell caused dry weather and high-level radiation in daylight but a huge drop in temperature at night, leading to the formation of the hoar frost, Hai said.
"The cold air is forecast to weaken while temperatures rise within today and no hoar frost would appear the next day," Hai added.
A representative of the Sun World Fansipan Legend tourist area in Sa Pa Town, Lao Cai said that hoar frost formed a layer of thin ice covering the cliffs, paths, stone steps, and wooden floors, transforming the mountain into a picturesque snow kingdom.
|Handwriting is left on a snow-covered surface on Mount Fansipan in Lao Cai Province, Vietnam. Photo: C.Thao / Tuoi Tre|
Visitors, however, have not been allowed to 'check in' at the snow scene as the Fansipan cable cars are temporarily suspended over the COVID-19 epidemic.
This is the first snow observed on Mount Fansipan since the start of the cold season this year.
Bordering China to the north, Lao Cai is among the northernmost provinces of Vietnam, with snow occasionally falling in winter.
Northern Vietnam has entered its coldest time of the year when temperatures have dropped to zero degrees Celsius at night and in the morning.
The northern edge of a low-pressure system compounding cold air will bring turbulence of high east winds, triggering heavy rain and thunderstorms along the central coast and in the Central Highlands region, according to the National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting.
Some central coastal provinces including Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, and Binh Dinh will experience heavy rainfall of 300-350 millimeters while other southern provinces are forecast to see occasional thunderstorms and moderate precipitation of 50-150 millimeters.
- Wild Arctic weather: Siberian temperatures swing 100 degrees Fahrenheit in 2 weeks
- A ski jacket material for frost and flames
- Watch This Bottle of Water Freeze Over in the Blink of an Eye
- Boys rescued from Thai cave were sedated with ketamine
- Cold weather payments triggered in these Leeds postcodes
- Why rich clients rule and always will
- Ice swim racing is not for the faint of heart -- literally
- UK weather forecast – Britain braced for Siberian ‘snowbomb’ as freezing Arctic triple storm vortex set to batter UK until March
- It will be warmer at the North Pole next week than much of Europe, as sea ice vanishes
- Mars Facts: Life, Water and Robots on the Red Planet
- Climate change: How you can make a difference
- The Doomsday Clock is a gimmick, but why it just moved closer to midnight is deadly serious
- Frostbite: Symptoms, causes and treatment
- Titan: Facts About Saturn's Largest Moon
- Polar Bears Starving As Arctic Ice Vanishes
- UK weather forecast: Sunny but -4C Nordic blast to chill Britain today before hail and sleet this weekend, Met Office warns
- Happy frigid-ass New Year: Coldest NYE in 70 years awaits revelers in U.S.
- Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks This Week! How to See Year's Best Meteor Display
- A Murder in Kansas Shatters the New American Dream
Hoar frost covers Vietnam’s Fansipan as temperatures plunge to zero degrees Celsius have 567 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.