Vietnam has not yet detected the new variant which has been found in more than 10 countries.
Vietnam's Ministry of Health has proposed the government suspend international flights from and to South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Eswatini, Lesotho, and Mozambique for fear of Omicron variant.
|Omicron, variant of concern, in the world.|
Immigration of incoming people from those countries will also be halted to prevent the import of Omicron variant, originally referred to as B.1.1.529 which was designated "variant of concern" by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Vietnam has not found the variant yet, but the epidemiology and Pasteur Institutes nationwide are tasked with genome sequencing of cases who are returnees from southern Africa, the ministry said.
Omicron has triggered global alarm as countries around the globe scrambled to impose new travel curbs.
Because of fears that the new variant has the potential to be more resistant to the protection offered by vaccines, there are growing concerns around the world that the pandemic and associated lockdown restrictions will persist for far longer than hoped.
According to WHO, preliminary evidence has suggested that there may be an increased risk of reinfection with Omicron as compared to other variants of concern.
The preliminary research suggests that there are increasing rates of hospitalization in South Africa. However, this might be because of increasing overall numbers of people becoming infected, rather than a result of a specific infection with Omicron.
The research on Omicron has begun around the globe, but it is yet clear if this new Covid variant is more transmissible than other previous variants such as Alpha, Kappa, Delta.
On Sunday, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the world is in a "race against time" with the Omicron coronavirus variant as scientists and manufacturers will need weeks to fully understand it.
- US Suspends 44 Passenger Flights to China Operated by Chinese Carriers
- FHRAI demands loan moratorium for pandemic-hit hospitality sector
- The NBA’s War on Omicron Christmas: Behind Closed Doors with Kyrie Irving and the Anti-Swabber Superstars
- Omicron in Wales: Mark Drakeford 'storm' warning prompts nightclub closures
- Omicron: More Covid rules needed in Wales, minister says
- First flights in a month leave Chinese city of Xi'an as travel curbs ease
- Worker shortages, flight delays contributing to slow delivery of rapid tests
- In America, Omicron is spreading westward
- Omicron could be peaking in the US — but experts urge caution
- Why Omicron Could Be a Boon to Industrial REITs
- How Wordle Became The Internet’s Omicron Pastime
- Harvard University announces remote classes for most of January due to rapid rise in omicron cases
- COVID-19: World Health Organization Epidemiologist Warns Against Long COVID Symptoms
- London Marathon in coronavirus threat as UK health minister admits it may be cancelled
- Hospital Capacity In Bloomingdale-Riverview Area: Latest
- Hospital Capacity In Jackson Area: See Latest Numbers
- Can sleeping with earplugs cause permanent damage? Experts weigh in
- City centres will be 'ghost towns' again under red setting, hospo boss says
- Coronavirus LIVE: Delhi Reports 11,486 New Covid Cases & 45 Death In Last 24 Hours
- Samoa and Kiribati go into lockdown after international arrivals bring COVID-19
Health sector wants to suspend flights to/from Omicron-affected countries have 499 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.