Hanoi (VNA) – ASEAN member countries and Canada have agreed to launch negotiations on a free trade agreement (FTA) during the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) – Canada Consultation which was held virtually on November 17.
The event was co-chaired by Mohd Amin Liew Abdullah, Minister at the Prime Minister's Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II of Brunei, and Mary Ng, Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development of Canada.
The FTA is among economic priorities in the ASEAN Chairmanship Year of Brunei.
The ministers tasked officials to develop a work plan to take forward the negotiations as soon as possible.
They discussed the trade and investment situation in the region amid the COVID-19 pandemic and the Canada- ASEAN Business Council (CABC)'s recommendations to strengthen bilateral economic cooperation.
The ministers also exchanged views on measures to respond to COVID-19 impacts on the economies of the regional countries, and reaffirmed commitments to continue seeking ways to reduce the pandemic's impacts.
They also underlined the need for global cooperation, including the ensuring of access to vaccine supplies in an equal, safe and efficient manner.
At the meeting, Vietnam and other ASEAN member countries welcomed contributions by Canada to the COVID-19 ASEAN Response Fund to promote a stronger economic recovery from the pandemic.
Vietnam actively engaged in the discussion and gave proposals on cooperation orientations between ASEAN and Canada in the time to come to ensure the smooth circulation of goods and services, reinforcing regional supply chains amid a changing global economy and negative impacts of COVID-19./.
- India, UK aim to launch FTA negotiations by November 1
- India aims to launch FTA negotiations with UK by November 1
- Canada Agrees to Talks on Extradition Treaty With China
- UK, India in 'sweet spot' as trade negotiations begin, says Britain's trade minister
- The RCEP: Impacting ASEAN’s Supply Chains and Business Environment
- India, UK aim to start FTA talks by Nov 1; eye early harvest trade deal
- ASEAN members in overdrive to achieve prosperity
- CAEXPO helps promote ASEAN-China free trade area
- India, UK set to launch talks on free trade agreement by November | India News - Times of India
- Vietnam chairs meeting of Initiative for ASEAN Integration Task Force
- Vietnam, China hold 13th meeting of steering committee for bilateral cooperation
- Informa Markets launches ASEW & PVA Virtual Edition
- Biden to put UK at back of queue as Canada, Mexico take precedence over Brexit Britain
- India, U.K. to begin trade talks from November 1
- Trump says US to quit TPP on first day in office
- UK-US trade deal: Boris Johnson has TWO options to secure lucrative agreement
- Piyush Goyal, Liz Truss talks to decide next steps for UK-India trade deal
- Malaysia looking forward to welcoming China in CPTPP as early as next year
- Eyeing China, Quad nations make fresh pitch for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- Exclusive: Mandarins opposed to exiting the EU 'forcing weak PM into soft Brexit'
ASEAN, Canada agree to launch bilateral FTA negotiations have 485 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 17, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.