The index breached the 1,400-point range in the afternoon but quickly dropped to close with a near three-point gain.
This is its highest level since July's plunge.
Trading value on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange (HoSE), on which the index is based, rose 7 percent to VND23.65 trillion ($1.04 billion), highest since Sep. 20.
The VN30 basket, comprising the 30 largest capped stocks, saw 16 tickers gain, led by GAS of state-owned Petrovietnam Gas with a 4 percent increase to a new peak.
The ticker has surged over the past three weeks, having gained 29 percent.
PDR of Phat Dat Real Estate Development rose 3 percent to the highest since Jul. 9.
VPB of private lender VPBank gained 2.4 percent, while PLX of fuel distributor Petrolimex added 1.5 percent.
On the other side, 12 tickers ended in the red, with SAB of brewer Sabeco losing 1.7 percent.
CTG of state-owned lender VietinBank fell 1.5 percent, with PNJ of Phu Nhuan Jewelry dropping 1.5 percent.
Foreign investors were net sellers to the tune of VND607 billion with strongest pressure on HPG of steelmaker Hoa Phat Group and SSI of leading brokerage SSI Securities Corporation.
The HNX-Index for stocks on the Hanoi Stock Exchange, home to mid and small caps, gained 0.01 percent while the UPCoM-Index for the Unlisted Public Companies Market dropped 0.07 percent.
- Sabeco rises for eight sessions, blue chips drag down the VN-Index
- Blue chips help VN-Index go into the green
- Gold continues to make new record, VN-Index gains nearly 12 points
- VN-Index losses narrow in third straight losing session
- VN-Index ends five-session gaining streak
- VN-Index slips after two gaining sessions
- VN-Index slides to biggest losing session in three weeks
- VN-Index up in fifth straight session
- VN-Index moves sideways due to poor investor demand
- Indian shares close near 4-month highs as Reliance boosts
- Sensex, Nifty close near 4-month highs as Reliance boosts
- Taking Stock: Market ends at 4-month high, Nifty reclaims 10,900; investor wealth surges by Rs 2 lakh crore
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Asian shares hit 4-month high as U.S., China recoveries gather pace
- Indian shares hit near 4-month highs, record surge in virus cases caps gains
- Asian shares hit four-month high as U.S., China recoveries gather pace
- Indian Bourses Zoom, Rupee at Month-High as Gov't Restricts Lockdown to Containment Zones
- FOREX-Euro hits 4-month high vs dollar on stimulus, recovery hopes
- Nigeria’s inflation rate hits 25-month high at 12.4% in May
- China's factory activity hits 3-month high
- Indian stocks at 4-month highs as HDFC Bank, autos climb
VN-Index inches up to three-month high have 382 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 18, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.