Hanoi (VNA) – The loosening of social distancing measures and increasing global demand have opened up great opportunities for Vietnamese rice exporters , according to experts.
Statistics from the General Department of Vietnam Customs showed that Vietnam enjoyed growth in rice exports in three consecutive months, with month-on-month rises of 19 percent in volume and 20.5 percent in value recorded in September.
Compared to the same period last year, rice exports in September rose 54.5 percent in volume to 593,624 tonnes with value of 293.15 million USD.
In the January-September period, Vietnam shipped abroad 4.57 million tonnes of rice, earning 2.42 billion USD, down 8.3 percent in volume and 1.2 percent in value. However, the price of Vietnamese rice rose 7.8 percent in the period.
Experts attributed the drops to impacts of COVID-19 to the harvesting and transport of rice in the Mekong Delta region – a major rice bowl of Vietnam. However, they predicted that rice sector will recover fast when the pandemic is controlled.
According to the Vietnam Food Association (VFA), Vietnam is anticipating a great chance to increase exports when a fall is forecast in other rice supply sources such as India and Thailand while the global demand is rising.
Securities firm Mirae Asset Vietnam held that the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), which has become effective since August 2020, is helping to boost Vietnamese rice exports to the European market.
At the same time, the US Department of Agriculture predicted that global rice consumption in the 2021-2022 crop will rise 1.8 percent year on year, which is coupled with a rise in rice prices.
Thanks to higher prices, Vietnamese rice exporters are expected to enjoy good growth in profits./.
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 12
- VN, ASEAN keen to work with RoK
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 8
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia April 25
- New momentum for US-Viêt Nam trade relations
- New momentum for US-Viet Nam trade relations
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 10
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 11
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 14
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 20
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 9
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 15
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 18
- Intra-ASEAN trade flourishing following mutual commitments
Vietnamese rice exporters see great opportunities have 351 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.