As the economy has been battered by the pandemic, it is essential for Vietnam to find new driving forces for growth.
For Vietnam to create new breakthroughs in development, the country not only needs special mechanisms for each locality, but also for a whole economic region.
|Overview of the NA session. Source: quochoi.vn|
National Assembly (NA) Deputy Pham Trong Nhan from Binh Duong Province gave his remarks at a session of the NA today [October 27], discussing a draft resolution on special mechanisms for the development of four cities and provinces including Haiphong, Nghe An, Thanh Hoa, and Hue.
The proposed mechanisms by the Government would include new policies on the number of outstanding loans; higher budget allocated from the central government; recurrent expenditure limit; land and forest management; planning; state revenue collection from housing and land; and payment for public servants.
According to Nhan, once the resolution is approved, Vietnam would have seven provinces/cities each with an exclusive mechanism, including Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Danang.
Nhan, however, raised the question of how these provinces/cities would play a role in the strategy of provincial economic linkage to maximize its benefits.
|Deputy Pham Trong Nhan from Binh Duong Province.|
Nhan added out of 63 provinces/cities, only 16 so far do not need budget allocation from the central Government to cover their expenses, and only three are governed by special mechanisms.
"Given the current resource constraints and the severe impacts of the pandemic, it is imperative for Vietnam to find new driving forces for growth," Nhan said, adding special mechanisms for key economic zones may be the answer for such a question.
Sharing Nhan's view, Vice Chairwoman of the NA Committee for Culture and Education Nguyen Thi Mai Hoa called for the Government to take into consideration the linkage between a locality and the whole region before drafting new mechanisms.
Hoa suggested special mechanisms for provinces/cities in the NorthWest, High Central, or the Mekong Delta to form key pillars for growth in respective regions.
|Vice Chairwoman of the NA Committee for Culture and Education Nguyen Thi Mai Hoa.|
Meanwhile, Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Fatherland Front in Phu Tho Province Cam Ha Chung said there should be a consistent legal framework for every locality.
"Certain provinces/cities are seeking special mechanisms to address bottlenecks for growth and further attract investment capital. However, the absence of specific requirements would lead to more cities requesting special mechanisms," Chung added.
Chung expected the special mechanisms for localities would be later reviewed and implemented at a national scale.
The NA is scheduled to vote for the draft resolution of a special mechanism for four cities and provinces of Haiphong, Nghe An, Thanh Hoa, and Hue on November 13.
- Localities in northern key economic region connect for growth
- NA’s plenary session opens in May
- Deputy FM, foreign diplomats update COVID-19 situation
- G-20 Member States of Southeast Asia, East Asia Anxious to See India Join Regional Trade Bloc
- Special Report: Before coronavirus, China bungled swine epidemic with secrecy
- IMF says ECB, ESM support key to strong EU coronavirus response
- 'None of us know what the other side will look like': COVID-19 culling newsrooms across regional Australia
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding from March 21 to 22
- Coronavirus in the Bay Area: The key events unfolding on March 24
- Boris to hold his first Cabinet meeting TODAY after only finishing bloodbath reshuffle at midnight as he makes Raab deputy PM and rewards Rees-Mogg and forgives his brother in bid to deliver Brexit
- From Wuhan to Australia: A timeline of key events in the spread of the deadly coronavirus
- Strengthened regional solidarity
- Who are the key players in China's coronavirus propaganda war with US?
- Invest in Slovakia: Share of economic activities in regional economies
- Key questions asked about globalization
- PM lays stress on maritime security at ASEAN-Australia Special Summit
- How Nigeria can attain economic greatness– Ajimobi
- Hai Phong urged to fully tap its potential for stronger growth
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 27
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES APRIL 4
NA deputies call for special mechanism for key economic regions have 661 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at October 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.