Failing to overcome the psychological threshold of 1,400 points on Wednesday, the VN-Index dropped slightly, putting an end to its seven-day rising streak.
On the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange, the VN-Index edged down 0.21 per cent to close at 1,391.91 points. The southern market's index had climbed more than 4.4 per cent in the past seven sessions.
By contrast, the HNX-Index on the Ha Noi Stock Exchange extended its rally to eight sessions in a row, rising 0.97 per cent to end at 379.34 points. It has climbed by more than 6.2 per cent since early this month.
Liquidity on the stock market reached VND19.4 trillion (US$843.5 million), down 21.6 per cent from the previous session, of which the trading value on the HCM City's exchange declined 13.6 per cent to VND17.5 trillion.
Foreign traders continued to offload shares with a net sell value of more than VND500 billion on the southern market.
Vinhomes (VHM) and Masan Group (MSN) were the two stocks pulling the VN-Index most. MSN dropped 1.7 per cent and VHM fell 1.1 per cent.
Other big losers included Techcombank (TCB), down 1.1 per cent; PV Gas (GAS) and lender BIDV (BID) each down 0.9 per cent; Petrolimex (PLX) down 2.2 per cent; Bao Viet Holdings (BVH) down 3.1 per cent; and brewer Sabeco (SAB) down 1.2 per cent.
The VN-Index could fall steeper without the cushion of Vingroup (VIC) which was up 0.2 per cent; Mobile World Investment (MWG) up 1.4 per cent; and FPT Corp (FPT), up 0.4 per cent.
According to BIDV Securities Co, the phenomenon of domestic and foreign cash flow weakening when the market reaches a large resistance level may make VN-Index continue to move around the range of 1,380-1,400 in the next trading sessions.
However, analysts at Viet Dragon Securities Co reckoned the market's positive trend will not likely change and investors still hold stocks that are on a good trend, as well as make new disbursement options if there are optimistic signals from stocks in the watchlist
"The VN-Index struggled between the cash inflow and the profit-taking pressure. This struggle is a natural result after a rally," they said in a note.
"Overall, the VN-Index is still in a positive trend in the short term," they said, suggesting investors take advantage of the situation to restructure the portfolio and look for new opportunities in stocks that have a positive accumulation. — VNS
- VN-Index swings back into the green
- VN-Index registers biggest single day plunge in three months
- VN-Index adds up nearly 19 points
- VN-Index plummets in year-end volatility
- VN-Index soars to 32 month peak
- Strong cash drives VN-Index up to record high
- Sell-off sinks VN-Index
- Stock market 2020: a rollercoaster year that ends happily
- Stock market U-turns to fall at session-end
- Shares end week in negative note after three-day rally
- Tesla's stock drops on first day in S&P 500
- Main index hits new high
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Independence Day address
- Coronavirus cases soar by 3,497 in the UK in the highest Saturday rise in FOUR MONTHS as SAGE adviser warns nation is on the brink of losing control of outbreak
- Weekly Covid deaths FELL for the first time in three months during the final days of England's second lockdown, official figures reveal
- Three quarters of Britons have seen a rise in PPE litter since the start of the pandemic as campaigners call on government to promote the benefits of re-usable masks
- Tesla shares plummet by nearly 7% on its first day of trading in the S&P 500 as Elon Musk tweets: 'Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make us successful'
- Arrogant to the bitter end: How Yorkshire Ripper bragged he wouldn't catch Covid in jail... as victims say coronavirus 'has at least one happy ending' after virus claims life of serial killer who murdered 13 women
- Furious Theresa May leads Tory assault on lockdown plan accusing Boris of using the 'wrong' projection of 4,000 deaths a day to shore up his case - as PM scuttles out of House after begging mutinous MPs to back him saying the NHS could 'collapse' otherwise
- Brexit news latest – Deal STILL possible, Barnier declares as EU hints at concessions within days in trade talks
Failing to overcome 1,400 threshold, VN-Index puts an end to 7-day rising streak have 689 words, post on bizhub.vn at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.