The dialogue took place in the context that the Vietnam – Singapore strategic partnership in various fields, including defense cooperation, is continuously developing.
At the event, General Chien thanked for and highly appreciated the support of the Singaporean Ministry of National Defense to military and defense activities and conferences held by Vietnam during its ASEAN Chairmanship Year 2020. Those were the ASEAN Defense Ministers' Joint Declaration on Defense Cooperation against Disease Outbreaks, the Joint Declaration of the ASEAN Defense Ministers on Defense Cooperation for a Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN, and the Joint Declaration by the ADMM-Plus Defense Ministers on Strategic Security Vision of the ADMM-Plus.
For his part, Singaporean Permanent Secretary for Defense Chan Heng Kee highly appreciated and congratulated Vietnam on its fulfillment of the ASEAN Chairmanship Year 2020.
At the dialogue, the two sides affirmed that despite the complicated developments of the COVID-19 pandemic, the bilateral defense cooperation activities have been flexibly and effectively carried out in line with the inked agreements. In particular, the two countries have effectively maintained various mechanisms, including the joint working group in defense cooperation, defense policy dialogue, cooperation in training, and consultations, among others.
The two officials also exchanged views on regional and international situations and issues of global concern, including the East Sea (South China Sea) issue, and affirmed to exert efforts to promote the central role of ASEAN and promote dialogues and cooperation for regional and international peace and stability.
Regarding cooperation orientations in the coming time, the two officials agreed to continue carrying out cooperation contents with a focus on delegation exchanges, training, consultations and cooperation in training and among services and arms. They also agreed to support one another at ASEAN-hosted military and defense activities and back ASEAN’s stance on regional and international security issues.
On the occasion, the Vietnamese general asked the Singaporean side to provide medical supplies and medicines to support the Vietnamese Defense Ministry's COVID-19 prevention and control as well as help the ministry access to COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine production technologies.
Translated by Tran Hoai
- Why diplomatic events like the Shangri-La Dialogue cannot go virtual
- Vietnam willing to promote ASEAN-RoK defence ties
- Landmark events like World Economic Forum, Shangri-La Dialogue in S'pore to go on as planned
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 4
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 24
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 2
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 3
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 25
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 8
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 3
- Vietnam attends 12th ASEAN Connectivity Symposium
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 29
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 31
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 6
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES AUGUST 23
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 26
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES AUGUST 29
- US vice president’s visit boosts all-round partnership with Vietnam
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 30
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 5
12th Vietnam - Singapore Defense Policy Dialogue takes place virtually have 445 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.