th , Deputy Minister Bui The Duy said that in 2020, Vietnam stood at the 42th with a statistical confidence interval between ranks 41 and 50. This year, it stays at the 44 th with a statistical confidence interval between ranks 42 and 47.
That means Vietnam remains nearly the same position in these two years and still belongs to the list of top 45 nations in the world. Remarkably, our country is the first among the lower middle-income nations. This, according to WIPO experts, is a significant achievement of Vietnam since the Covid-19 pandemic is creating various negative unexpected impacts on socio-economic, scientific-technological aspects of most countries.
Being a reliable tool to evaluate the innovation capacity of a nation, GII has been considered by the Government as one of the key administration tool since 2017, showing the high appreciation of Vietnam towards innovation in national development.
Ministries and the localities all over the country have been assigned the task of improving this index under the management of the Science and Technology Ministry. Thanks to the close cooperation among ministries, the local authorities, research centers, universities, and related businesses, Vietnam's GII has led the lower middle-income group for the last few years.
WIPO report reveals that Vietnam's scores in the seven GII pillars (including institutions, human capital and research, infrastructure, market sophistication, business sophistication, knowledge and technology outputs, creative outputs) are higher than the average ones of other lower-middle income economies.
What is more, in the last 10 years, Vietnam has always received higher scores than expectations for its level of development. This shows that Vietnam efficiently getting much more outputs relative to innovation inputs, making our country among the 50 GII economies with the most considerable progress. Along with China, Turkey, India, and the Philippines, Vietnam owns a potential to change the global innovation landscape in the upcoming years.
Discussing the negative unavoidable impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic to innovation in Vietnam, the Deputy Minister shared that since the Government is aware of the essential role of innovation in sustainable development and pandemic fight, domestic investments into science-technology and innovation has been maintained.
The result is that many useful products, like the SARS-CoV-2 detect kits, self-propelled robots in field hospitals, high flow oxygen concentrator, have been introduced, greatly contributing to the combat against Covid-19 nationwide and the efforts to keep the supply chain flowing smoothly.
Talking about the measures to sustainably improve Vietnam's GII, Deputy Minister Duy mentioned the collaboration of the whole community and the Government. The national innovation system must reach a new development level where science-technology and innovation are the pillars of economic growth.
In details, the indexes of the institution pillar must be improved. The capacity to prepare and then implement suitable policies, along with post-evaluation must be enhanced, especially in the unpredictable context of Industry 4.0 and the Covid-19 pandemic.
Secondly, the human capital and research, infrastructure pillars must receive more attention. Operation models should be reformed while science-technology activities should be given more funds. Simultaneously, the learning autonomy and self-improvement of the human resources, businesses, state officials must be upgraded.
Finally, foreign investments and bilateral, multilateral trade agreements should be better exploited. It is necessary to turn business communities into more active, innovative ones.
By Tran Luu – Translated by Huong Vuong
- Baltimore faces 'double crisis' with increasing rents and low incomes, report says
- Median household income in Maryland grew last year
- Maryland casinos allowed to boost their advantage by lowering blackjack payouts
- Italy 16 Ireland 26, Six Nations 2019: Irish survive scare to claim bonus-point victory in Rome
- Tim Paine: The leader we never knew we needed
- Newsflash: Safer Vehicles Result in Lower Traffic Fatalities
- Three remaining needs for each NL East team
- MGM National Harbor, new Maryland 'landmark,' gambling on region's casino appetite
- Welcome to Yosemite National Park. Mind the trash – and be sure to bury your poop
- Bryce Harper Rumors: Dodgers Still The Favorites To Land Slugger? Nationals, Others May Have A Better Offer Than LA
- Sweet Remains No. 1 In Sprint Car Rankings
- Budget Hotels in India Lure the Middle Class
- Scandal of right to buy sell-offs revealed as council leader claims ‘We can’t go on like this’
- Nascar Grand National Racing – The New Proving Grounds
- Five things the Nationals still must do this offseason after landing Patrick Corbin
- The Reinvention of Neymar: From 'Peter Pan' to Brazilian Leader
- Stop Shop Save to close remaining Baltimore locations
- PIAM: Motor insurance growth tapered in 2016, but claims remain high at RM13.8 million per day
- kelMLB hot stove: Top remaining needs and possible targets for all 30 teams as spring training approaches
- MLB hot stove: Top remaining needs and possible targets for all 30 teams as spring training approaches
VN’s GII remains leader among lower middle-income nations have 767 words, post on www.sggpnews.org.vn at September 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.