‘Hanh Trinh Dau Tien’ (My First Day) is written and illustrated by KAA, the pen name of Saigon-based author-illustrator pair Phung Nguyen Quang and Huynh Kim Lien.
It tells the story of how a young boy named An from the Mekong Delta region makes his first trip to school by himself during the rainy season.
“This is the first time I've made this trip on my own, weaving through floodwaters and forests,” the boy said.
In the book, An is confronted by many obstacles, from giant crested waves, heavy rainfall and eerie forests where fear takes hold of him. As he paddles down past obstacles such as snakes and crocodiles, the jungle “calls your name, asks you to be brave.”
Wall Street Journal wrote the book has “lush and sweeping illustrations” and is a sumptuous picture book affirming that “however children may get to class, jitters on the first day are universal.”
Meanwhile, New York Times said the words and images show “how tiny humans are in relation to nature, and how much some will risk to get an education.”
The two Vietnamese artists created the book in 2014 to participate in the “Scholastic Picture Book Award” competition in Singapore, where it surpassed hundreds of other stories sent back from all over Asia to win the top prize.
The book was published in Vietnamese in 2018. The English version of the book was released by American published Penguin Random House in February.
- New York Times Puts Foot Down, Pay Wall Up
- Fox News & Wall Street Journal Coming to Xbox 360 Applications
- The New York Times announces two new e-book publishing deals
- Wall Street Journal Confirms PS4 February Announcement, Will Launch Later This Year
- New York Times Green Lighting Reduces Energy Use More Than 70 Percent
- Online Book Price War Worries Wall Street
- CUPERTINO BUSINESS REPORT Apple Schools Wall Street
- 2 in every 5 things stolen in New York City is an Apple product
- New York man suing Apple for ‘misleading and deceptive’ Siri ads
- Apple Ousts Microsoft In Wall Street Valuation
- IBM's Earnings Miss Gives Wall Street the Willies
- CUPERTINO BUSINESS REPORT Thunder in Cupertino Makes It Rain on Wall Street
- Analysis: 'Socially Awkward' - Wall Street Envy
- CUPERTINO BUSINESS REPORT Apple Basks in Bullish Reviews From Wall Street Media Giants
- Saturday Crapshoot: Manhunter: New York
- While Wall Street Burns, Candidates' Views on Tech Issues Simmer
- : New York through the eyes of Shawn Allen
- Wall Street Calls on Amazon To Open Books
- Anonymous threatens the New York Stock Exchange
- Impressions: Crysis 2 gameplay world premiere in New York
Vietnamese children’s book features in New York Times, Wall Street Journal have 407 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at September 10, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.