Vietnam hopes to become a food innovation hub in the region, President Nguyen Xuan Phuc said in his message sent to the United Nations (UN) Food Systems Summit held in New York on September 23 (local time).
President Nguyen Xuan Phuc.
In his remarks, President Phuc noted "cooperation among countries, partners, and actors within the food systems must serve the interest of the people". He stressed that food security lays the groundwork for Vietnam's efforts in eradicating poverty, improving the people's living standards, promoting the "transparent, responsible and sustainable" development of the Vietnamese agriculture.
In that spirit, the Vietnamese State leader made several proposals to ensure food security in the context of climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Vietnamese President highlighted the necessity to pursue a "multi-value" agricultural development model, encompassing socio-economic-cultural issues, landscapes and the environment.
It is necessary to develop a green, low-emission and "nature-based" agriculture that is climate resilient and responsive to the complicated evolution of COVID-19, he stated, adding that priority should be given to promoting rural economic development, ensuring food supplies, reducing food loss and food waste, effectively managing natural resources, and biodiversity conservation.
He called for investment in agricultural infrastructure conducive to agricultural production and rural economic development, noting that private sectors should be encouraged to make responsible investment. , and we should also better expand public-private partnership models.
He suggested formulating and frequently updating a National Nutrition-Balanced Plan as the basis for production and distribution, adding that it is also essential that we step up education and information dissemination to create a healthy food system, appropriate and nutrition-balanced diets, and green and responsible consumption trends, while preventing wastefulness.
President Phuc also said digitalisation needs to be accompanied by policy and institutional reforms that revolve around farmers and consumers. It is also necessary to form sustainable agricultural value chains, focusing on food safety and standardisation of procedures and qualities.
At the same time, to sustainably develop the food systems, it is essential to expand international cooperation in conducting studies and forecasts, and building early warning systems for natural disasters and diseases; and to ensure the sustainable management of land and water resources, biodiversity, cross-border water and marine resources, he said.
The President affirmed that Vietnam stands ready to participate in cooperation arrangements led by the UN.
"If we all work together, nothing is impossible, including the realisation of the SDGs – 2030," concluded the Vietnamese leader./.
- Chef named Vietnam Airlines’ food ambassador
- Vietnam wants more investment from India: leader
- Restaurant review: Rouj Creole wants to innovate Creole cuisine in Baton Rouge. But is that possible?
- Vietnam needs little more time to achieve 90-90-90
- WANT-WANT Group rolls-out mega launch in Vietnam
- Taiwans WANT - WANT Group comes to Viet Nam
- VRDF 2019: Leveraging innovation to overcome the middle-income trap
- San Diu ethnic people in Vietnam
- San Diu ethnic people in Vietnam’s northern midlands and mountainous areas
- Vietnam tourism brand could revel in world-class cultural festivals
- Sweden to work closely with Vietnam on complex issues: Swedish Ambassador
- International Food Festival opens in Hanoi
- Vietnam & Russia agree on $10bn bilateral investment
- APEC forum enhances Vietnam’s international integration
- Death of a playboy president: France mourns as former head of state Jacques Chirac - famed for his love of fine living and many rumoured affairs - passes away aged 86
- Vietnam remains attractive investment destination for German firms
- Vietnam Festival 2019 begins in Japan
- Matsumoto Kiyoshi to open flagship pharmaceutical, cosmetic store in Vietnam next year
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc meets Myanmar President U Win Myint
- PM Nguyễn Xuân Phúc meets Myanmar President U Win Myint
Vietnam wants to become food innovation hub in the region: President have 597 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.