A state-level funeral was held in Hanoi on September 15 for General Phung Quang Thanh, former Politburo member, former Vice Secretary of the Central Military Commission and former Minister of National Defence.
A state-level funeral was held in Hanoi on September 15 for General Phung Quang Thanh.
Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong sent a wreath to commemorate General Phung Quang Thanh, while many incumbent and former national leaders attended the funeral.
Lao Ambassador Sengphet Houngboungnuang led a delegation from the Lao Embassy in Vietnam to pay tribute to the late General. The Central Committee of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party and the Ministry of Defence of Laos also sent flowers to mourn General Phung Quang Thanh.
In his eulogy at the funeral, Politburo member and Standing Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh, head of the organising board of the funeral, underlined that General Thanh was a brave communist, a talented leader and commander with high prestige of the Party, State and military of Vietnam. His death is a great loss of the Party, State, military and people of Vietnam, leaving deep sorrow to Vietnamese people, his family as well as foreign friends, Minh stressed.
General Phung Quang Thanh passed away after a period of illness at 3:45 am on September 11 at his private home in Hanoi.
He was born on February 2, 1949 in Thach Da commune, Me Linh district, Hanoi (formerly in Vinh Phuc province).
He was a member of the 9th, 10th and 11th Party Central Committee, member of the Politburo of the 10th and 11th Party Central Committee, and deputy of the National Assembly in the 11th, 12th, and 13th tenures. He was awarded the rank of General in July 2007.
His military career was a shining example of heroic fighting spirit, resilience, will and efforts to rise up. General Phung Quang Thanh was honoured with the Ho Chi Minh Order, the title 'Hero of the People's Armed Forces' and many other noble titles./.
- Funeral held for three children killed in Sri Lanka bomb attacks
- Serbian Defence Minister, Ruling Party Start Hunger Strike to Resist Opposition
- Islamic State group claims responsibility for Easter attacks in Sri Lanka
- Brexit live: Prime Minister loses Commons vote on Brexit proposals
- Five of Most Controversial State Visits to UK Amid Anti-Trump Rhetoric
- Timeline: Islamic State’s rise, rampage and fall
- Fabien Clain: From rapper to ‘French voice of the Islamic State group’
- Islamic State claims responsibility for Sri Lanka Easter attacks that left at least 45 children dead
- Priest receives standing ovation by challenging politicians at funeral of Lyra McKee
- Former minister Jackie Fahey remembered at funeral for career where he 'rattled the cages' of government
- Turkey opposition leader attacked at soldier's funeral
- Ethiopians hold mass funeral ceremony for plane crash victims
- Security Analyst on How Iran Hacked Israeli Prime Minister Hopeful
- Funeral service in Newport later for veteran MP Paul Flynn
- Hundreds attend funeral of veteran Newport MP Paul Flynn
- State has a responsibility to bring Lisa Smith home, says Coveney
- The Irish Isil bride: How former member of Defence Forces was captured in Syria on suspicion of supporting Isil
- Turkey warns it will turn to Russia if the US refuses to supply jets and air defence systems
- Islamic State claims Sri Lanka attacks with at least 45 children among dead
- McKee funeral priest 'was moved to tears'
State funeral held for former Defence Minister Phung Quang Thanh have 541 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.