A new COVID-19 cluster in Phu Quoc City off the southern Vietnamese province of Kien Giang has spread to five out of its nine wards and communes as local authorities confirmed more infections on Thursday.
A quick report of the city's medical center recorded a total of 69 COVID-19 cases in An Thoi Ward, Duong Dong Ward, and Ham Ninh Commune, all of whom had undergone real-time RT-PCR tests.
Of the figure, 63 coronavirus infections were discovered in An Thoi Ward, which has been a hotbed of transmissions in Phu Quoc after the first case was detected on Monday.
The local rapid antigen testing drive also led to the discovery of new confirmed and suspected cases in other wards and communes.
In Ham Ninh Commune, five out of 257 samples had positive results, with the real-time RT-PCR test results later confirming their infections.
In Duong Dong Ward, one case tested positive for the virus via the rapid test, but had a negative real-time RT-PCR test result later.
In Bai Thom and Cua Duong Communes, two other suspected cases are awaiting real-time RT-PCR test results.
With the new infections found on Thursday, the new outbreak, which is the first to have emerged in the island city since the pandemic occurred in Vietnam early last year, seems to have spread to five out of its nine wards and communes and possibly wider, a doctor at the Kien Giang Center for Disease Control commented.
In addition to the mass testing drive, Phu Quoc authorities have allocated a land lot to build a 1,000-bed COVID-19 field hospital in Cua Can Commune, according to Nguyen Thanh Nhan, deputy chairman of Kien Giang Province.
The city's health system is capable of treating about 150 COVID-19 inpatients and quarantining about 500 direct contacts in centralized isolation facilities.
Currently, 266 people that came into direct contact with coronavirus patients are being isolated at two local centralized quarantine facilities.
Kien Giang Province has recorded 4,874 local infections since a new virus wave hit Vietnam on April 27.
- US Records Over 90,000 New COVID-19 Cases on Election Day
- WHO Reports Record 3 Million New COVID-19 Cases in a Week
- Vietnam has no new COVID-19 cases on October 26 morning
- No new COVID-19 cases to report on Nov. 7 evening
- Orange County Reports 267 New COVID-19 Cases, 3 Additional Deaths
- Dharavi sees a spike of 9 new COVID-19 cases; Dadar, Mahim witness fewer cases
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on October 16
- Vietnam has no new COVID-19 cases in community for 52 consecutive days
- Thailand, Indonesia see new COVID-19 developments
- Two one-year-old boys among eight new Covid-19 patients
- Vietnam records no new COVID-19 case early November 9
- No new COVID-19 case posted on early November 11
- No new COVID-19 case posted on early November 13
- Britain records 33,470 new Covid-19 cases as infections jump 38.6% in a week – even though several different estimates say outbreak has slowed
- Delhi records over 5k new COVID-19 cases for 5th consecutive day; positivity rate nearly 13 per cent
- Britain records nearly 4,000 new Covid-19 cases in highest daily total since MAY - but lack of testing at peak of crisis means resurgence of the disease is likely nowhere near levels seen during first wave in March and April
- COVID-19 November 6 highlights: Maharashtra reports 5,027 new COVID-19 cases
- No one wants more shutdowns, but Covid-19 keeps raging. Some states and cities have enacted new rules
- With 8593 new COVID-19 cases Delhi records highest single-day spike
- Delhi overtakes Maharashtra, Kerala as highest contributor to new Covid-19 cases
New COVID-19 cluster expands in Vietnam’s Phu Quoc City have 569 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.