HCM CITY – HCM City plans to build a new reservoir to cope with the shortage of clean water and ensure residents’ quality of life.
The city’s water supply industry has submitted a plan to build a reservoir with a capacity of 5 million m3, which could provide clean water to the people of HCM City within seven days.
It is expected to be built 1km upstream from the confluence of the Sài Gòn and Thị Tính rivers in order to avoid pollution and saltwater intrusion.
The head of the water supply management department of Saigon Water Corporation (SAWACO), Trần Kim Thạch, said that water quality is seriously affected by storms, floods, unusual droughts and environmental pollution.
Thạch suggested short-term solutions such as adjusting the flow of water from reservoirs to ensure uninterrupted water supply.
He told Tuổi Trẻ (Youth) newspaper that the water supply industry in the city had always been closely related to two reservoirs upstream of the Sài Gòn River (Dầu Tiếng Lake) and Đồng Nai River (Trị An Lake).
All involved parties every day inform one another about the quality level of the river water. When an incident occurs that pollutes water sources, the upstream river reservoir will discharge clean water to dilute and wash away the pollution in the water.
During a recent seminar, water supply experts from Taiwan (China), Japan, Korea, Singapore, Bangladesh and Israel expressed concern about the decline of clean water sources due to climate change.
HCM City stressed the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in limiting the source of clean water globally, especially in parts of the US where people are experiencing a severe drought in the summer of 2021.
A prolonged drought since 2020 has also brought challenges to Taiwan’s water supply companies. Extremely low rainfall has made it difficult to store clean water.
Singapore, with a rapidly growing population and limited resources, has prepared multiple solutions to provide clean water for domestic and industrial activities, including turning seawater into fresh water for locals to use.
Meanwhile, in HCM City, experts are worried about saline intrusion, flooding and pollutant discharge, which affect clean water supply. Together with irregular rainfall caused by climate change, the city will soon face water shortages similar to what Bangkok has been experiencing.
The amount of the city’s groundwater reserve is decreasing due to long-term over-exploitation. VNS
- HCM City bus operators may face CNG supply cuts
- Thousands of volunteers in HCM City join hands for social service activities
- HCM City works to ensure training for guest workers
- Clean water access for India's poor spawns virus concerns
- Without clean water, fighting diseases is a pipe dream
- Lack of clean water for India’s poor spawns virus concerns
- 70% more funds for water supply
- HCM City’s agricultural production value up 4.3 percent in Q1
- New 40 agricultural firms set up in HCM City in three months
- Coronavirus Update: New York Yankees Provide Food, Supplies for Minor League Players
- HCM City’s youths join hands for social service activities
- Metrowater to maintain supply at current level
- We won’t let the city down: The men and women in supporting role in the battle against the virus
- City to ensure guest workers receive training for skilled jobs
- New York City’s Development Czar Alicia Glen Talks Amazon HQ and Affordable Housing
- Breathe less … or ban cars: cities have radically different responses to pollution
- In New York, making a life out of bottles and cans
- Đồng Nai wary of water shortage amid salt intrusion
- Dong Nai wary of water shortage amid salt intrusion
- The best water purifiers for any outdoor adventure
HCM City to build new reservoir to ensure clean water supply have 626 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.