Vietnam advance to the knockout stage of the 2021 Futsal World Cup as one of the four best third-placed teams.
After a first-half stalemate, Chau Doan Phat opened the scoring for Vietnam with five minutes to go, but only to see his efforts cancelled out by Resetar who equalised just one minute later.
Despite missing out on the full three points, the draw was enough to send Vietnam through to the last 16 of the World Cup for the second consecutive time.
Meanwhile, the Czech Republic also advanced as Group D runners-up with four points, above Vietnam on goal difference.
The result was a well-deserved reward for coach Pham Minh Giang's troops who demonstrated a brilliant fighting spirit in a tough encounter against a much higher-rated Czech Republic side.
The Czech Republic started the match better producing two consecutive shots in the opening minutes which were saved by goleiro Ho Van Y.
Vietnam responded immediately with Pham Duc Hoa breaking through the Czech Republic's defence but failing to beat goleiro Vahala.
In the following minutes, the European team pressed and almost scored a number of times. However, Ho Van Y continued to show excellent reflexes by denying attempts from Zaruba and captain Resetar, thus keeping the goalless draw unchanged going into halftime.
The Czech Republic put up pressure threatening to score two minutes after the restart with Michal Holy placing a shot closely wide.
In the 27th minute, Vietnam wasted a golden opportunity to go ahead as Nguyen Minh Tri could not beat Vahala in a one-on-one.
The Czech goleiro continued to rescue his side four minutes later by stretching his leg to save Nguyen Minh Tri's powerful long-range strike.
It was not until the 35th minute that the deadlock was broken, with Chau Doan Phat stealing the ball from midfield and firing a rocket through the two legs of goleiro Vahala to give Vietnam a much-needed advantage.
However, the joy was short-lived for the Southeast Asian team as just one minute later Pham Duc Hoa mistakenly passed the ball to unmarked Resetar who comfortably beat goleiro Ho Van Y with an unstoppable strike.
Vietnam have been guaranteed a place in the top four third-placed teams after the Czech Republic draw.
With the draw, Vietnam have been guaranteed a place among the four best third-placed teams on four points, joining Group D leaders Brazil and runners-up Czech Republic to qualify for the knockout round.
- FIFA’s Impossible, Corrupt Qatar Math: How FIFA Had to Have Known Forced Labor Was Needed for 2022’s Qatari World Cup
- Virus outbreak tests limits of soccer’s World Cup schedule
- Germany nosedives in FIFA rankings after World Cup exit
- World Cup 2018: Adnan Januzaj Stunner Sees Belgium Beat England To Top Group G
- The complete travel guide to Brazil's World Cup cities
- Everything You Need to Know About Today’s U.S.-Germany World Cup Game
- Vietnam disadvantaged by AFF Cup, World Cup qualifiers schedule clash
- World Cup 2018: Ex-Brazil Star Ronaldo Defends Neymar Against Play-Acting
- There is a cloud hanging over this World Cup and Fifa must not ignore it
- Four weeks of endless drama in Russia has re-energised World Cup
- World Cup 2018: Belgium Coach Roberto Martinez Eager To Face Brazil As Underdogs
- World Cup 2014: inside Rio's Bond-villain mission control
- Women's World Cup: England send hosts Canada packing in tense quarter-final
- Davis Cup: Great Britain drawn against France and Czech Republic
- Japan’s Rui Hachimura proving himself in World Cup as matchup with Team USA approaches
- Kyle Kuzma’s ankle injury will keep him out of World Cup, Team USA roster now set
- Fortnite World Cup: 16-year-old 'Bugha' wins top prize
- Increase in places at Women’s Asian Cup an opportunity for Vietnam
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes again for Portugal to send Morocco out
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Monday, March 16
FIFA Futsal World Cup: Czech Republic draw sends Vietnam through to Round of 16 have 693 words, post on dtinews.vn at September 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.