Brazil’s Health Minister Marcelo Queiroga tested positive for COVID-19 hours after accompanying President Jair Bolsonaro to the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday, the government said.
Queiroga will remain in New York in quarantine, the government’s communications office said.
“The minister is doing well,” the statement said. It added that the rest of the delegation tested negative for the virus.
Queiroga told CNN Brasil that he had worn a mask the entire time that he was in the U.N. building.
Bolsonaro, a vaccine skeptic, defied U.N. rules that asked all those attending the assembly to be vaccinated. He has bragged about not getting vaccinated.
In his speech to world leaders at a meeting where the global coronavirus pandemic was top of the agenda, Bolsonaro said his government did not support the use of a vaccine passport and stood by treatment of the virus with unproven drugs such as the anti-malarial hydroxychloroquine.
He said Brazil’s vaccination campaign against COVID-19 had been successful and that all adults who wanted a vaccine would be fully inoculated by November.
With unvaccinated diners barred from eating in New York restaurants, Bolsonaro and his entourage ate pizza on a sidewalk on their first night in the city on Sunday.
The health minister was the second member of the Brazilian delegation in New York to have tested positive. A young diplomat who was part of an advance team preparing Bolsonaro’s visit tested positive on the weekend and was isolated.
COVID-19 has killed 591,440 Brazilians in the world’s second-deadliest outbreak after the United States.
As vaccination advances in the country, the rolling 14-day average of COVID deaths has fallen to 519 a day, compared with almost 3,000 at the peak of the pandemic in April.
On a trip to the United States to meet former U.S. President Donald Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate last year, 22 members of Bolsonaro’s delegation caught coronavirus in the worst case of transmission in a government that ignored precautions.
Bolsonaro, who regarded Trump as a political role model, has opposed lockdowns to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and seldom uses a mask.
- Thai Health Minister volunteers for COVID-19 vaccine test
- Rajasthan health minister tests positive for Covid-19, admitted to RUHS
- Ukrainian health minister tests positive for COVID-19
- South African health minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Health Minister requests faster testing of COVID-19
- India to get Feluda paper strip test for COVID-19 by November-end
- TataMD launches new test for Covid-19; ready with 10 lakh tests/month capacity
- US Health Officials: Trump Hindering COVID-19 Care by Blocking Transition to Biden
- ‘Dear White People’ Pauses Production For Two Weeks After Several Positive COVID-19 Tests
- 120 passengers tested for Covid-19 at Mumbai Airport on Wednesday, all negative: Official
- South Africa trio self-isolating after positive COVID-19 test
- Video: Hazmat-Fitted Cleaners Sanitize White House as Positive COVID-19 Cases Spike
- Here's all you need to know about the Feluda paper strip test for COVID-19
- Delhi to continue door-to-door survey to test symptomatic Covid-19 patients
- ‘All American’ Slated To Resume Production Tuesday After Brief Pause Due To Positive COVID-19 Test
- ‘Chicago Med’ Suspends Production For 2 Weeks Over Positive COVID-19 Test
- 'Claws' halts production for 2 weeks after positive COVID-19 test
- Report: Baltimore Ravens Have More Positive COVID-19 Cases
- COVID-19 Testing: Experts Believe Getting Tested For COVID-19 Will Get Easier In 2021
- Centre has assured of more ICU beds, daily testing for COVID-19 to go up: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal after meeting with Amit Shah
Brazil's health minister tests positive for COVID-19 in NYC have 567 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.