The QH9149 flight, using the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, took off at around 7:55 p.m. at Hanoi’s Noi Bai Airport for San Francisco. The flight, the first of 12 direct flights between Vietnam and the U.S. that Bamboo Airways gained approval from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), is expected to span over 14 hours.
On board are four pilots, 14 flight attendants and several technicians and ground controllers to perform necessary missions at the San Francisco Airport.
Nguyen Manh Quan, vice general director of Bamboo Airways, said the flight is of historic proportions, not just for Bamboo Airways but also for Vietnam’s aviation industry.
“We will affirm the capabilities for operation, safety, security and infrastructures for Vietnamese airlines and the entire Vietnamese aviation industry in general,” he said at a ceremony held in the airline’s headquarters in Hanoi the same day.
Nguyen Ngoc Trong, another vice general director of Bamboo Airways, said the flight’s goals were to serve tourists in both Vietnam and the U.S., to conduct commercial, diplomatic and cultural exchanges, and to affirm Bamboo Airways’s position, considering how a direct flight to the U.S. is among the hardest flight paths to achieve.
“In the last two years, we’ve managed to see opportunities in developing flights not just within Vietnam, but also in Southeast Asian and Northeast Asian regions like Japan, Taiwan, and even reaching towards Europe, Australia. And now, to the U.S.,” he said.
“By introducing direct flights to the U.S. at this moment in time, we’re ready to perform commercial flights once the pandemic dies down to meet customers’ demands in both countries.”
Bamboo Airways said it plans to organize three direct flights to the U.S. each week, gradually increasing the frequency to 5-7 flights a week, and finally daily flights.
Vietnam Airlines has conducted several direct U.S. flights for Covid-19 repatriation purpose. The national carrier said this week it is set to receive its final permit from U.S. authorities soon to conduct regular direct flights to the U.S. after nearly two decades of preparation.
- JetBlue announces more flights from Tampa to Cuba beginning in June
- Nashville flight to London launches in May with high expectations
- Kuwait Airways drops NYC-London route
- This 17-hour flight is now the longest in the world
- British Airways to offer playlists curated to match in-flight meals
- Why British Airways chose Nashville
- U.S. Army veteran, declared dead, possibly found living in remote Vietnam village 44 years after being gunned down, insiders claim
- American Airlines, US Airways to yank fares from Orbitz
- SEE IT: Musicians play on tarmac after US Airways bans them from boarding with violins (VIDEO)
- FAA Halts US Flights to Tel Aviv Over Security Concerns
- Emirates to add non-stop Newark-Athens flights
- British Airways tracks flyers' moods with 'happiness blanket'
- Frontier Airlines' pullout leaves Delaware with no flights
- Airbus: Maiden flight of A320neo is a success
- Flight attendant brings revolver through Philly airport security and gun accidentally fires into TSA break room
- Taiwan plane crash: 47 passengers on board TransAsia Flight GE222 dead after crash landing in wake of Typhoon Matmo
- U.K. joins the U.S., bans electronics in the cabin on flights from 6 countries
- Nonstop flight to London an economic boon for Nashville
- See it: Hysterical passenger dragged off flight for refusing to turn off her cellphone (VIDEO)
- Malaysian government releases satellite data used to determine missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crashed in Indian Ocean
Bamboo Airways conducts first direct Vietnam-US flight have 560 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.