Hanoi (VNA) – With his tireless efforts to promote Vietnamese music, conductor Dong Quang Vinh is known as an "ambassador" by the domestic music world, helping connect Vietnamese with international music.
Conductor Dong Quang Vinh was born in 1984 to a family of traditional musicians. His father is Meritorious Artist Dong Van Minh who both performs and makes traditional musical instruments. His mother is Meritorious Artist Mai Thi Lai, a professor of 16-chord zither at the Vietnam National Academy of Music (VNAM).
At the age of 9, Vinh began learning to play the bamboo flute at the VNAM. He was invited to perform on stage in Japan when he was 12. In 2004, Vinh was sent by the Vietnamese government to study orchestral conducting at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music and was awarded the most distinguished student scholarship by the China National Foundation.
Dong Quang Vinh has been guest conductor of the Shanghai Opera House Symphony Orchestra, the Shanghai Conservatory of Music Symphony Orchestra, the Shanghai University Chinese Traditional Orchestra, the Zhe Jiang Theatre, and the Chinese National Traditional Orchestra.
Vinh conducted numerous Shanghai youth orchestras attending Chinese national competitions for student orchestras and has won a number of first prizes. During his 9 years of study in China, he performed with famous Chinese artists and carried out various projects that combine Vietnamese and Chinese folk music as part of the effort to promote understanding between the two countries.
He obtained a master's degree in 2013 with highest scores attainable and returned to Vietnam. In Vietnam, he is the conductor and teacher of orchestral conducting of the VNAM; principle conductor of the Vietnam National Opera and Ballet; artistic director and conductor of Hanoi Voices Choir (HVC); director of the Suc Song Moi (New life) Bamboo Ensemble.
The birth of Suc Song Moi came from Vinh's idea that Vietnamese music brought vitality from traditional instruments made of bamboo. The ensemble has been invited to perform at many national and international programmes. Suc Song Moi was also honored as an inspiring orchestra which brings traditional art closer to the people of Vietnam and the world.
Dong Quang Vinh has been praised by the Xinhua News Agency as a person connecting the musical friendship between Vietnamese and Chinese youths.
Along with the success of the bamboo ensemble in Vietnam, in 2018, Dong Quang Vinh was selected by the US government as the only representative from ASEAN to attend the project "promote social change through the arts". He was also one of the two Asian representatives participating in the International visitor leadership project (IVLP)./.
- Queens residents to celebrate trumpet legend at the Louis Armstrong International Music Festival
- globalFEST 2012: The world’s music revealed in a single show at Webster Hall
- Rodrigo y Gabriela play acoustic guitar music like it was heavy metal
- A who's who of musical greats come together at inaugural International Jazz Day at U.N.
- HARLEM WEEK 2015: The Harlem Music Fest is born, built on generations of internationally-renowned entertainment
- GlobalFEST features world music stars like Emel Mathlouthi and Bixiga 70 in one New York night
- Live in New York: Hot Chip bring their smart soulful dance music to Terminal 5
- Ravid Kahalani of Yemen Blues brings music of another world to City Winery
- Roy Orbison, the Memphis Horns and Earth, Wind & Fire founder Maurice White elected to Memphis Music Hall of Fame
- Bowie producer offers bleak vision of music future
- Zayn Malik opens up about leaving One Direction: ‘That’s not music I would listen to’
- The top 10 in music for the week of February 26, 2012
- ‘Random Access Memories,’ by Daft Punk, music review
- Drake's 'Nothing Was the Same,' music review
- First International Jazz Day means more than music to Herbie Hancock
- Phoenix local music picks for March 2017: Roger Clyne, International Pop Overthrow, No Volcano, Chandler Jazz
- U.S. ambassador Howard Gutman slams park prostitution allegations
- Egypt summons British ambassador to protest comments about Al-Jazeera journalist sentencing
- To honor the International Day of Peace, a list of the most famous and controversial peace advocates
- Behind the scenes at Festival International
“Ambassador” connecting Vietnamese with international music have 671 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.