The Vietnamese U23 football team have been ranked eighth in the Asian region, according to the latest rankings as announced by global football website Footy Rankings.
In line with this, Vietnam's U23s are ranked eighth in Asia with 25,897 points, followed by Jordan on 24.228 points, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on 23.535 points, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 22.964 points, Thailand on 20.441 points, and China with 20.360 points.
During the 2016 AFC U23 Championship, the Vietnamese team failed to make it past the qualifying round after losing eight matches and finishing with no points.
Two years later the national U23 team led by head coach Park Hang-seo put in a number of outstanding performances in China to finish as runners-up of the 2018 AFC U23 Championship.
In the 2020 version of the event, Vietnam failed to progress through to the final round, despite defeating Jordan and the UAE.
Vietnam will play in Group I in the qualifiers for the 2022 AFC U23 Championship, alongside the likes of Myanmar, Hong Kong (China), and the hosts, Chinese Taipei (China).
The national U23 team are one of 19 sides in the East Zone, a region which has been divided into five groups.
A total of 19 teams in the East Zone will join 23 teams in the West Zone in competing in the qualifiers for the 2022 AFC U23 Asian Cup between October 23 and October 31.
The 11 group winners and the four best runners-up will qualify for the finals of the tournament, an event which is scheduled to take place between June 1 and June 19, 2022, in Uzbekistan.
- Son Heung-min Named Spurs' Best No. 7 Ever
- Cong Phuong named as most valuable Vietnamese footballer
- Football Manager 2020: Best FM wonderkids to sign for your club during coronavirus lockdown
- Superb free-kick goal by Vietnam’s Quang Hai voted best of Asian Cup
- Roy Keane has plenty to say about footballers and salary cuts
- Thailand's plan to send U23 team to AFF Cup offers opportunity to Vietnam
- Vietnamese pair among famous footballing siblings in Southeast Asia
- Asia Property Awards honors Vingroup as Vietnam’s best developer
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia on April 20 (updated hourly)
- Dead good! The 80 best true crime shows and podcasts – because there’s never been a better time to play armchair detective...
- Vietnamese football star among leading goalscoring Asian goalkeepers
- Vietnamese photographer claims best photo of #Sport2020
- Dan Marino, Dion Jordan _ the best, worst of Dolphins drafts
- COVID-19 is clearly not a football fan
- Asset Magazine names Citi Asia’s Best Digital Bank
- 'My best travel discovery of 2016'
- Alabama Named As ‘Running Back U’ Over Wisconsin
- Park Ji-sung Named Top Asian World Cup Star
- 3 Korean Footballers Vie for EPL's Best-Ever Asian Players
- The good face-mask guide: As UK health officials consider urging everyone to cover their mouths MailOnline reveals the best from top surgical-level respirators costing £20 each or ten mouth covers for £1 each
Vietnamese U23 side named as eighth best in Asia by football website have 462 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at July 21, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.