Vietnamese rowing duo Dinh Thi Hao and Luong Thi Thao finished fifth in the Tokyo 2020 women’s pair repechage of the lightweight double sculls at the Sea Forest Waterway in Tokyo, Japan on Sunday morning.
The Vietnamese pair competed against Switzerland, Russia, Ireland, Austria and Guatemala. As a rule, the leading three teams will advance to the semi-finals of Group A/B and the last three finalists will enter Group C.
Vietnamese rowers completed their race with a time of 7:53.69, 30 seconds outside of the top three. This result put Việt Nam into the final of Group C which will compete for ranking and not a medal position.
Earlier, Vietnamese rowing duo only finished fourth in the qualifying round with a time of 7:36.21 so they had to take part in a repechage to vie for a berth in the semi-final.
Việt Nam won the ticket to the Tokyo Olympics after qualifying for the Asia-Pacific region in Japan in early May in which Việt Nam clocked a time of 7:17.34 to rank second of the qualifier.
This is the third Olympic event of Vietnamese rowers. Athletes competed in the women's lightweight double. At London 2012 and Rio 2016, Vietnamese rowers could only enter the finals of group C.
In judo, Nguyễn Thị Thanh Thuỷ lost to arch rival Andreea Chitu of Romania 0-10 in the qualifying round of the women's 52kg category. Chitu took part in the Olympics 2012 and 2016, she also won silver medals in the world event in 2014 and 2015.
Vietnamese athletes will continue to play in the weightlifting, boxing and badminton event on Sunday.
- Vietnamese candidate Hoang Hanh receives gold medal in Miss Earth’s Resort Wear segment
- Vietnam's Hoang Hanh achieves another medal win at Miss Earth 2019
- Runner Hung eyeing SEA Games medal with launch of duathlon event
- Vietnam strikes three gold medals at Aerobic Suzuki World Cup in Tokyo
- Hùng eyeing SEA Games medal with launch of duathlon event
- Vietnam win bronze medal at AFF futsal champs
- Việt Nam win bronze medal at AFF futsal champs
- Miss Vietnam Heritage Global turns to be TV reality pageant
- Vietnamese village prays, awaits news on loved ones' fate
- 'She thought it was a VIP ticket': Vietnamese 'death truck victim' was hoodwinked into paying £30,000 for 'business class' trip to Britain in hope of helping her debt-ridden family
- Flights, Fake Passports, Lawyers: $5000 "VIP Packages" Enticing Vietnamese To UK
- 'I can't breathe:' Vietnamese woman's text sparks fears she is among those who died in Essex truck container
- Vietnamese beauty crowned as Miss Earth 2018
- Vietnamese chess masters expected to dominate SEA Games
- Vietnamese families fear relatives are among 39 found dead in truck in England
- Lorry deaths: UK Vietnamese group given photos of missing people
- Up to 20 Vietnamese feared among 39 UK truck dead
- Vietnamese families fear relatives among 39 found dead in truck
- Flights and fake passports: The 'VIP packages' enticing Vietnamese to UK
- Container victims believed to be from rural Vietnamese town, says priest
Vietnamese rowers miss out on medal group have 480 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.