LONDON — A Vietnamese national has been jailed in the UK after police found cannabis worth US$1.4 million growing in a three-storey abandoned nightclub.
Cao Văn Vũ, 31, was sent to prison for 40 months for his part in the illegal operation. He will be deported back to Việt Nam after serving his sentence.
Two other men, both Albanians, were also jailed.
In October last year, National Crime Agency (NCA) officers, supported by West Midlands Police, raided the property in the Coventry area of the Midlands.
They had to smash through several reinforced doors to access the interior, where they found around 1,500 cannabis plants spread across the building's three floors. NCA experts value the haul at over £1 million.
As well as the plants officers recovered planting, growing and irrigation equipment, valued at around US$209,000.
The trio had also bypassed the buildings electricity system and illegally gained power from a commercial supply in the street outside.
The NCA say the discovery was the largest and most sophisticated cannabis factory they have ever found.
During interviews with detectives, Vũ admitted he paid people smugglers to help him enter the UK illegally.
All three men pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to producing a controlled drug.
NCA Branch Commander Mick Pope said: "These men were involved in producing cannabis on an industrial scale. It is certainly the largest and most sophisticated cannabis factory ever found by the NCA.
"They were responsible for maintaining and storing drugs and equipment worth over a million pounds, which shows the wider criminal network behind this operation clearly trusted them.
"The takedown of this facility will have had a huge impact on the wider organised crime group, depriving them of potentially millions of pounds in profit, which would have been used to fund further criminality and exploitation.
"Our investigation continues."
Albanians Adrian Lleshaj, 29 and Andi Cani, 24, were jailed for 35 and 28 months respectively. — VNS
- HCMC man jailed for shooting creditor
- Homeless man jailed after dragging woman to the ground and trying to rape her
- Dad jailed in Malta for 10 years for having five cannabis plants speaks of joy over looming release
- Thug avoids jail after court told his girlfriend would lose her NHS job
- Drug dealer jailed for killing and burning disabled neighbour over noise complaint
- Female teaching assistant, 28, jailed for 32 months for hotel room sex with pupil, 15
- Police believe all 39 victims found inside Essex truck were Vietnamese
- Widow of man hacked to death confronts teen killers who 'don't belong in society'
- Sex offender jailed for life for murdering two women and stuffing bodies in freezer
- Road-rage murderer Kenneth Noye moved to open jail only 30 miles from home of victim’s dad
- Man kept wife's death secret for 4 days and slept next to her naked, decomposing body
- Teen who sold Donkey Kong ecstasy pills that killed boy, 13, is spared jail
- M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye 'likely to be freed from jail this week'
- Brothers brutally attacked man using meat cleaver and an axe after money dispute
- George Floyd protests: Thousands take to streets in UK chanting 'I can't breathe'
- Legalising cannabis: what will New Zealanders be asked to vote on in September?
- Trial on UK truck tragedy delayed as 63 witnesses absent
- British ex-public school boy who was jailed for drug crimes in Singapore caned 24 times
- British Olympic hammer thrower, 41, is jailed for two years after having sex with 14-year-old girl who he paid £25 a time
- Teenagers jailed for life after trying to decapitate man as they hacked at him more than 100 times with samurai sword
Vietnamese man jailed in UK for producing cannabis have 638 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.