Tokyo (VNA) – Vietnamese badminton player Nguyen Thuy Linh beat her French rival Qi Xuefei in the group qualification round of women’s singles on July 24 morning on the first official competing day of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
With the 2-0 (21-11, 21-11) triumph, Linh's chance to advance to the next round has become higher. She will face world No.1 player Tai Tzu Ying from Taiwan (China) and Sabrina Jaquet of Switzerland, the world’s 46th player, on July 26 and 27.
Linh, who is joining the Olympics for the first time, showed stable performance without any anxiety.
The Vietnam Badminton Federation decided to reward Linh with 20 million VND in cash right after her successful game.
On July 24, Vietnamese athletes will also compete in shooting, gymnastics, taekwondo, rowing and boxing.
Particularly, veteran gunman Hoang Xuan Vinh will open the Olympics with the 10-m air pistol event that helped him win a gold medal at the Rio 2016 Olympics.
Earlier on July 23, Vietnam's quest for Olympic glory began before the opening ceremony with archers Do Thi Anh Nguyet and Nguyen Hoang Phi Vu in action.
Nguyet finished 49th among a total of 64 competitors with 628 points in the qualifying round of the Women's Recurve event.
Nguyet, however, will progress to the next round to compete against the host nation's Hayakawa Ren.
This year marks the first time that the 20-year-old archer has competed in the Olympics.
On the men's side, Nguyen Hoang Phi Vu gained 647 points and ranked 53rd out of 64 athletes. Kim Je Deok of the Republic of Korea led this category with 688 points, followed by Ellison Brady of the US with 682 points and Oh Jinhyek with 681 points.
With this result, Vu will face Tang Chih Chung of Chinese Taipei who ranked 12th in the qualifying round with 668 points.
With a total score of 647 for Vu and 628 points for Nguyet, the two Vietnamese archers have a total score of 1,275, and are ranked 23 out of 29 in the mixed doubles. This means they can't win the right to compete in the next round, taking place on July 24.
Vietnam sent a 43-strong delegation, including 18 athletes competing in 11 sports to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics , led by Deputy General Director of the Vietnam Sports Administration Tran Duc Phan./.
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic master competition schedule
- From robots to projection mapping: Inside Panasonic’s Tokyo 2020 Olympic tech
- Vietnam confident towards securing a place in Tokyo 2020 Olympics, says Huynh Nhu
- Tough Tokyo 2020 Olympics decisions ahead for Rowing New Zealand selectors
- Iranian taekwondo star Kimia Alizadeh defects from her country ahead of Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Tickets designs unveiled for Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Tokyo 2020 athletes warned against threesomes in Olympic Village’s cardboard beds.. but sex with just one partner is OK
- Tokyo 2020 athletes looking for Tinder fun will struggle to romp in Olympic Village thanks to tiny single beds
- Vietnamese badminton star aims to compete at Olympics for fourth time
- Tokyo 2020: Path to the Olympics uncertain for Iran's Kimia Alizadeh
- Major flaw in Tokyo 2020 Athletes Village eco-friendly beds
- Tokyo 2020 takes 'out-of-the-box' approach with cardboard beds
- Basketball star Maya Moore to skip second consecutive WNBA season and 2020 Olympics to focus on criminal justice reform
- Olympics: Tokyo 2020 ticket designs unveiled
- As 2020 Olympics Approach, Japan’s Treating Foreign Workers Like Indentured Labor
- GB hockey ace Sam Ward blinded in one eye after being hit in face by ball.. but still hopes to make 2020 Olympics team
- The opening ceremony at the 2020 Olympics may feature a man-made meteor shower
- 2020 Olympics ticket design inspired by Kimono fabric
- Panasonic and Sony to co-develop 8K TV tech ahead of 2020 Olympics
- Best board games in 2020: Lord of the Rings, Mansions of Madness and more
Vietnamese female badminton player wins first game at Tokyo 2020 Olympics have 602 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.