Kamala Harris will become the first United States vice-president to visit Vietnam to boost ties during a trip that will also include Singapore next month, the White House announced Friday.
During the trip, the vice-president will discuss with the leaders of Vietnam and Singapore regional security, the global response to COVID-19, climate change, and joint efforts to promote a rules-based international order, the White House said.
The trip to the two Southeast Asian countries is aimed to strengthen relationships and expand economic cooperation with two critical Indo-Pacific partners of the U.S., Harris's spokeswoman Symone Sanders said in a statement.
The visits will also enhance the strong cultural and people-to-people relations between the U.S and these countries, the statement said, without providing details on the dates of the trip.
"Vice-President Harris will be the first vice-president to ever visit Vietnam," said Sanders.
"President Biden and Vice President Harris have made it a top priority to rebuild our global partnerships and keep our nation secure, and this upcoming visit continues that work," the White House said.
The specific dates for Harris's trip are still being worked on, Reuters said, citing diplomats.
The travel to Vietnam and Singapore by Harris demonstrates the U.S.'s long-term commitment to a prosperous and secure Southeast Asia, the Straits Times quoted Dr. Patrick Cronin, chair for Asia-Pacific security at the Hudson Institute in Washington, as saying.
Harris's visit would be significant to highlight Washington's commitment to Southeast Asia, Reuters cited analysts as saying.
Some analysts also think that it could result in more pledges of U.S. vaccines to this region, which has recently suffered from COVID-19.
The upcoming trip of Harris is the second international trip in office after she visited Guatemala and Mexico in June in an effort to lower numbers of migrants from this area to the U.S.
- Is Kamala Harris next to go?: California Democrat on brink of exiting presidential race after firing dozens of campaign staff and dropping to three per cent in the polls
- Amy Klobuchar for president? She’ll say Sunday. Why she should — and shouldn’t.
- Sports PM congratulates Vietnam on entering Asian Cup quarters as fans celebrate nationwide A visit to the dentist in Vietnam
- ‘I’m going to get my wife to say hello!’ Harry introduces Meghan to Australian war widow, 98, as he meets her for the third time and shares a cuddle after she stole a cheeky kiss on his previous visits
- July And August Are Deadliest Months Teen Drivers
- Judo veteran Harry McGuigan (75) on why age will only ever be a number
- College football's first female position player, Toni Harris has beat cancer, critics and wide receivers
- Seven Lakes and Rice Owls alum makes MLB debut
- N. Houston Team of the Week: The Woodlands HS baseball
- 1966 Dodge Hemi Charger – Return Of The “Lawman”
- Guide to Gearhead Getaways
- Biden opens with pitch to labor in battleground Pennsylvania
- Biden says he never meant to make women feel uncomfortable
- Biden heads to Pennsylvania to pitch rebuilding middle class
- Renewed federal executions raise death penalty’s 2020 stakes
- Comments on McCain, Dukakis show Trump AWOL on decency
- AP sources: Gillibrand moving toward 2020 bid in coming days
- D-Day ceremony spotlights Trump’s complicated military ties
- Mickey Thompson’s 406 MPH and Jim Rathmann’s Indy 500 Win Highlight 1960 Auto Racing
- Trump reportedly joked Jared Kushner 'is half the size of Tom Brady's forearm'
US Vice-President Kamala Harris to visit Vietnam in August have 578 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.