“It’s been nearly 55 years since the late Senator John McCain crashed into Truc Bach Lake, before spending the next five-and-a-half years as a POW in Hoa Lo prison. Visiting this marker earlier today was certainly a sobering and humbling experience,” Austin tweeted Thursday. The tweet goes with a video showing him placing a bouquet of flowers at the McCain Memorial at Truc Bach Lake.
A day earlier, another tweet said: “I wanted to make sure one of my first stops in Vietnam was to the Hoa Lo Prison in Hanoi. It is a visible reminder of the cost of war, and why our strong bilateral partnership with Vietnam today is rooted in our shared sacrifice.”
Bộ U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin visits Hoa Lo Prison in Hanoi, July 28, 2021. Photo courtesy of the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service.
During his visit made on the invitation of Vietnam’s Minister of National Defense Phan Van Giang, Austin held discussions with his host on bilateral military cooperation, the dioxin cleanup project at Dong Nai’s Bien Hoa Airport, cooperation in the Covid-19 fight and other topics of mutual interest.
The two officials also witnessed the signing of a memorandum of understanding on cooperation to locate, recover and identify the remains of Vietnamese martyrs and exchanged several war artifacts.
Austin also met with President Nguyen Xuan Phuc and Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh.
Hanoi’s Hoa Lo Prison was used during the Vietnam War to detain U.S. prisoners of war. Previously, the French colonial administration had incarcerated Vietnamese revolutionaries there.
John McCain's plane was shot down during a bombing run in 1967. He ejected from his plane and was pulled ashore by locals after landing in the Truc Bach Lake.
- Billionaire Mai Vu Minh welcomed the assistant of Bosnia-Herzegovina to pay an official visit to Vietnam
- Billionaire Mai Vu Minh welcomed the assistant of Bosnia-Herzegovina President to pay an official visit to Vietnam
- What's Behind Upcoming US Aircraft Carrier's Visit to Vietnam?
- US Defense Secretary: Dissolving Philippines Military Pact a Move in 'Wrong Direction'
- Jane Fonda, 82, radiates glamour in sleek suit at premiere of her restored 1972 anti-Vietnam War documentary FTA
- VN Deputy FM, Deputy Minister of Defence holds talk with US Assistant Secretary of State
- Modern theme parks and man-made marvels have energised tourism destinations throughout Vietnam
- Vietnamese Ambassador visits US aircraft carrier in Norfolk
- No investigations of ousted White House aide Vindman: U.S. Army secretary
- MND’s delegation visits Singapore
- Minister To Lam visits Brunei
- FDI in Vietnam expected to surge after the epidemic
- Kent State Marks 50th Anniversary Of Vietnam Protest Tragedy. They Pay $83,000 For A Speaker: Jane Fonda
- Trump says US keen to boost defense sales to India
- Officials visit war heroes in build up to War Invalids and Martyrs
- Defense chief headed to the U.S. to meet with Esper
- Vietnam, US to start the next phase of cooperation
- Pentagon chief visits nuke base to highlight weapon spending
- "Namaste Trump": India's nationalist leader holds huge rally for president's visit
- 'We cannot protect everyone': New environment secretary George Eustice warns over climate change as Storm Dennis brings worst flooding for a generation
US defense secretary visits iconic Vietnam War locations have 510 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.