Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung, head of SOM ASEAN Vietnam, led the Vietnamese delegation to the event.
Participating officials reviewed the preparations for the AMM-54 and related meetings, scheduled to take place via videoconference from August 2 to 6, and also discussed the bloc's priorities for 2021.
They reaffirmed the commitment to supporting the initiatives of the ASEAN Year 2021 such as the ASEAN SHIELD, enhancing the combined strength of the bloc in responding to natural disasters, promoting multilateralism, improving the awareness of the identity and spirit of the ASEAN Community, and building the post-2025 ASEAN Community Vision.
Given the COVID-19 resurgence in many regional countries, they underlined the urgency of augmenting response efforts, especially procuring vaccines, deploying the ASEAN COVID-19 Response Fund, and recovering comprehensively.
The meeting stressed the importance of sub-regional cooperation in narrowing the development gap and building the ASEAN Community, highly valuing and supporting Vietnam's initiative to organise an ASEAN forum on sub-regional cooperation in late 2021.
Regarding external relations, officials discussed measures to enhance regional dialogue and cooperation and to further bring into play the bloc's centrality in the ASEAN-led mechanisms.
Regional and international issues of common concern were also put on table at the event.
In his speech, Deputy Foreign Minister Dung emphasised the vital role of vaccine and anti-viral drugs in the COVID-19 combat, urging ASEAN countries to step up vaccine procurement plans, strengthen cooperation with partners in vaccine access, supply and distribution, share experience, and improve vaccine production capacity.
Vietnam will keep working with other countries to effectively implement the cooperation outcomes obtained in 2020, including the building of the post-2025 ASEAN Community Vision, he affirmed.
Highlighting the significance of sub-regional cooperation, he appreciated the countries' support for Vietnam's initiative to hold the ASEAN forum on sub-regional cooperation.
Dung called for stronger connection of sub-regional cooperation with common development frameworks and programmes of ASEAN, considering this one of the focuses to realise the ASEAN Community Vision 2025 and build the post-2025 vision.
At the meeting, the deputy minister also exchanged views on regional and international issues of shared concern, stressing that amid complex and unpredictable developments in the regional and international situation, ASEAN should maintain its solidarity and common voice and bring into play its centrality in dealing with issues related to regional peace, security, and stability.
On the occasion of the 26th anniversary of Vietnam's ASEAN membership (July 28, 1995 – 2021), he thanked all members of the bloc for consistently assisting and supporting the country, adding that Vietnam will continue standing side by side with them on the path to a strong and dynamic ASEAN./.
- Thailand ready for ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- ASEAN foreign ministers meet Chinese, Japanese, South Korean counterparts News
- ASEAN Foreign Ministers meet in Indonesia
- 47th ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting wraps up
- 49th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting opens in Vientiane
- Deputy PM attends ASEAN foreign ministers' meeting
- Vietnam attends ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting
- 49th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting – a success: Deputy FM
- DPM joins ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- Hanoi hosts ASEAN foreign ministers' meetings
- Nhandan Newspaper - 49th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting opens in Vientiane
- Officials meet to prepare for ASEM foreign ministers meeting
- Vietnam attends 50th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- Hanoi prepares for the ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting
- ASEAN senior officials discuss preparations of 49th AMM
- ASEAN senior officials complete preparations for AMM meetings
- ASEAN senior officials talk Community building
- Laos ready to host 8th ASEAN Education Ministers' Meeting
- ASEAN foreign ministers deeply concerned over East Sea tensions
- ASEAN foreign ministers to meet in Laos
Senior officials talk preparations for 54th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting have 628 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.