HÀ NỘI — One million doses of Sinopharm’s COVID-19 vaccine Vero Cell arrived in HCM City on Saturday, as part of a deal to acquire five million doses, the health ministry has announced.
Early in July, the health ministry gave permission for the State-owned Saigon Pharmaceutical Group (Sapharco) in HCM City to import the doses. They were partially paid for using money donated to the national COVID-19 vaccine fund by Vạn Thịnh Phát Holdings Group. This was authorised by HCM City People’s Committee, according to local media reports.
Vạn Thịnh Phát is a private company with a diverse portfolio headquartered in HCM City’s District 1. Its founder, and chairman of the board, Trương Mỹ Lan, is a Vietnamese of Chinese origin.
With this latest batch of vaccines, HCM City's total number of doses received has hit three million. This is the biggest share of the country’s available stockpile of 16 million doses and enough to cover 22.3 per cent of the city’s residents above 18 years old, according to the health ministry.
Vero Cell was approved for emergency use by the WHO in May, and given conditional approval for use in Việt Nam on June 4. The first 500,000 doses donated by the Chinese Government to Việt Nam have been used for Chinese nationals living and working in the country, Vietnamese residents in border areas with China , and people who engage in trade and service exchanges with Vietnam’s northern neighbour.
In 2021, HCM City is earmarked to receive 13.8 million doses, which will cover 99 per cent of people over 18 years old.
The city is set to receive a further 5 million doses of vaccine in August.
HCM City, the current epicentre of the fourth wave of infections with daily new COVID-19 cases reaching over 4,000 in the past few weeks, has administered 1.5 million doses of vaccine, with about 75,000 people being fully inoculated.
In the latest guidelines issued for HCM City, the health ministry has asked that all people from 18 years old in the city be vaccinated, with priority given to frontline workers, the elderly or people with underlying health conditions.
Private sector medical units will also be enlisted to speed up the vaccination progress.
A special vaccination-support working group from the health ministry has also been sent to HCM City. — VNS
- India in talks with Pfizer, COVID vaccine manufacturers for supply: Health Ministry
- Peru secures 23.1 million future coronavirus vaccine doses from Pfizer, COVAX
- Covid-19 vaccine update: Russia’s efficacy claims, US to provide 6.4 million doses for emergency cases
- Uzbekistan Ready to Start Russian Sputnik V Vaccine Trials by End of Year, Health Ministry Says
- Healthcare and frontline workers, elderly will need 600 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine
- Healthcare and frontline workers, the elderly will need 600 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- UK 'may have paid TWICE as much as the US' for Moderna's breakthrough Covid-19 vaccine at £28 per dose after Number 10's last-minute scramble to secure five million doses for March following landmark trial
- Health ministry says COVIN app will ensure last-mile delivery
- Covid-19 vaccine update: India to immunise 250 million citizens, US vaccinations might begin in December
- Venezuela to buy 10 million doses of Russian Covid-19 vaccine
- Ex-CDC Chief Frieden: To beat COVID and stay safe before vaccines arrive we need to give it this 1-2 punch
- Biden says Trump's 'embarrassing' refusal to coordinate on virus response and start transition means 'more people may die' as he warns of 'very dark winter' before COVID vaccine arrives
- US sees highest Covid-19 death toll in months as deaths top a quarter of a million
- How will India vaccinate 1.3 billion people?
- Which Countries Have Already Secured COVID Vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna?
- Reality bites for Putin's much-hyped Covid-19 vaccine, as concerns over efficacy and safety linger
- How millions could be waiting until next SUMMER for Pfizer Covid vaccine
- AstraZeneca reveals it's running a new Oxford vaccine trial because NO ONE who got the accidental low dose that had 90% success rate was aged over 55 - as Chris Whitty dodges giving the jab his full backing
- Doctors urge the CDC to warn Americans that first COVID vaccine doses could leave them feeling unwell - to make sure they follow up for the second
- UK secures 5million doses of Moderna Covid vaccine that’s more 94.5% effective – but not until Spring
One million doses of Sinopharm vaccine arrive in HCM City, health ministry urges faster vaccination have 713 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.